This 14th edition of the phenomenally successful Principles of Anatomy and Physiology continues to set the standard for the discipline. Written and superbly illustrated for two-term, introductory Anatomy and Physiology students, this text offers a rich and complete teaching and learning environment. WileyPLUS sold separately from text.
Unit I: Organization of the Human Body
1. An Introduction to the Human Body
2. The Chemical Level of Organization
3. The Cellular Level of Organization
4. The Tissue Level of Organization
5. The Integumentary System
Unit II: Principles of Support and Movement
6. The Skeletal System: Bone Tissue
7. The Skeletal System: The Axial Skeleton
8. The Skeletal System: The Appendicular Skeleton
10. Muscle Tissue
11. The Muscular System
Unit III: Control Systems of the Human Body
12. Nervous Tissue
13. The Spinal Cord and Spinal Nerves
14. The Brain and Cranial Nerves
15. The Autonomic Nervous System
16. Sensory, Motor and Integrative Systems
17. The Special Senses
18. The Endocrine System
Unit IV: Maintenance of the Human Body
19. The Cardiovascular System: The Blood
20. The Cardiovascular System: The Heart
21. The Cardiovascular System: Blood Vessels and Hemodynamics
22. The Lymphatic System, Nonspecific Resistance to Disease, and Immunity
23. The Respiratory System
24. The Digestive System
26. The Urinary System
27. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Homeostasis
Unit V: Continuity
28. The Reproductive Systems
29. Development and Inheritance
- Completely revised feedback diagrams throughout the material that consistently and visually strengthen student understanding of this important principle.
- Newly designed end-of chapter “Focus on Homeostasis” pages
- New chapter opening questions stimulate interest with new accompanying photos.
- Clinical Connections have been incorporated into several figures for immediate reinforcement of the relationship between the illustration and Clinical Connection.
- The anatomical terminology is based on Terminology Anatomica – enhanced glossary for this edition.
- WileyPLUS is a research-based online environment for effective teaching and learning. WileyPLUS is rich with interactive study tools and resources–including the complete online textbook–to guide your students through the course.
- WileyPLUS now includes an adaptive learning module called ORION. Based on cognitive science, WileyPLUS with ORION provides students with a personal, adaptive learning experience so they can build their proficiency on topics and use their study time most effectively. WileyPLUS with ORION helps students learn by learning about them.
- Real Anatomy 2.0 is web-based 3-D imaging software that allows students to dissect through over 40 layers of a real human body to study the anatomical structures of all body systems. The software is web-based and integrated in WileyPLUS along with worksheets and questions designed to optimize student use.
- PowerPhys 3.0 is physiological simulation software authored by teaching lab faculty. The activities focus on core physiological concepts and reinforce techniques experienced in the lab.
- The illustrations—each including a key concept statement and review question—enable students to make the connection between text and visual elements.
- Praised by students for its straightforward and easily comprehensible writing style, the narrative emphasizes scientific content over extraneous detail.
- Duel Themes of Homeostasis and Disruptions to Homeostasis are effectively presented through the relevant use of in-chapter Clinical Connections, end-of-chapter disorder boxes, and end-of-chapter lists of medical terminology.