- Why are buildings detailed the way they are?
- Why do architects and engineers seem to come to the same kind of solutions to their detailing problems?
- Are we satisfied with such a situation?
With environmental concerns so high on designers' agendas, the answer to this third question has to be 'no'. Collectively architects, engineers and specifiers need to revisit how they detail the built environment, and address the most important and potentially difficult area of the joint between materials and components.
In Principles of Architectural Detailing the authors question the way in which buildings are detailed and in particular challenge familiar joint solutions. They offer practical guidance and a number of tools to help the student of architectural detailing in the decision-making process. The emphasis throughout is on using knowledge of construction in a creative and productive way to contribute towards a built environment that enhances our well-being and which is also sustainable.
Detailing - the creative link;.
The philosophy of detailing;.
The basic model of architectural detailing;.
Section B - Guidelines.
Material and energy;.
Building components and structure;.
The process of production;.
Goals and performance;.
Section C - Developing Architectural Details.
Developing details and joints;.
The language of details;.
The nine-plus-one step procedure;.
Managing the detailing phase;.
* addresses design, technology and management as integral areas
* provides clear guidance and simple-to-se tools, helping users to develop details from first principles
* takes a pragmatic approach with plenty of worked examples and checklists