Professional Cake Decorating
Professional Cake Decorating
ISBN: 978-0-470-07343-8 January 2007 368 Pages
Cake decorating is an art with specific skills that must be studied and practiced before they can be mastered. Professional Cake Decorating is the first guidebook, reference, and at-your-fingertips resource to the special methods and techniques unique to cake decorating.
Professional Cake Decorating is:
* a comprehensive set of lessons designed to teach the skills needed in cake decorating, including basic, intermediate, and advanced piping skills; hand modeling; and gumpaste flowers
* a powerful tool for making dramatic improvements in the overall look and design of cakes
* a valuable training handbook and resource for bakers and decorators
* a comprehensive reference of successful professional skill sets
Using more than 200 step-by-step and finished cake color photographs, as well as over 125 illustrations, this highly visual book covers a wealth of techniques for cake borders, piped flowers, cake writing and piping, royal icing designs, marzipan fruits and figurines, rolled icing, floral patterns, petit fours, gumpaste floral art and design, and much more. Thorough coverage also includes such foundation skills as making shells, rosettes, reverse shells, zigzags, fleur-de-lis, rope, garlands, scrolls, rosebuds, and other confectionary designs.
Complete with more than three dozen tried-and-tested recipes, Professional Cake Decorating is the only book that places the rewards of thirty years of training, traveling, teaching, and private practice in your hands! It is a must-have for today's bakers, cake decorators, specialty shop owners, and independent cake designers.
Table of contents
A History of Cake Decorating.
Lesson 1: Basic Piping Skills.
Lesson 2: Floral Piping Skills.
Lesson 3: Intermediate Piping Skills.
Lesson 4: Advanced Border Skills.
Lesson 5: The Art of Writing.
Lesson 6: Royal Icing Piped Flowers.
Lesson 7: Royal Icing Design Skills.
Lesson 8: The Art of Icing a Cake.
Lesson 9: Hand Modeling Skills.
Lesson 10: Marzipan and Chocolate Modeling.
Lesson 11: Advanced Icing and Design Skills.
Lesson 12: Rolled Icing Design Skills.
Lesson 13: Pastillage Construction.
Lesson 14: Gumpaste Flowers—Basic Floral Skills.
Lesson 15: Advanced Gumpaste Flowers.
Lesson 16: Miniature Cakes and Decorated Cookies.
Lesson 17: Cake Boards, Color Charts, Painting, and More Techniques.
Lesson 18: Cake and Confectionary Gallery.
Lesson 19: Recipes
Appendix 1: Patterns.
Appendix 2: Measurements.
"…every lesson is easy to follow…" (Cakes and Sugarcraft, Spring Issue)
- A comprehensive set of lessons designed to teach the skills needed in cake decorating, including basic, intermediate, and advanced piping skills; hand modeling; and gumpaste flowers
- Designed to be used in a classroom, kitchen environment or used independently at the reader’s own pace
- Complete with more than three dozen tried-and-tested recipes providing the reader with numerous choices to apply their decorating skills
- Includes a wide range of cake, sugarcraft, and icing formulas designed for small and large kitchens.
- More than 200 step-by-step and finished cake color photos, as well as over 100 illustrations
- Each lesson ends with a review that reinforces the concepts and techniques presented in the lesson.
- A powerful tool for making dramatic improvements in the overall look and design of cakes
- An Instructor’s manual includes lesson designs, helpful hints, exercises and provides an answer key to each End-of-Lesson review. It also provides steps and techniques for organizing and designing a cake decorating curriculum.