DescriptionThis comprehensive volume provides state-of-the art guidance on Quality of Service (QoS) and Quality of end-user Experience (QoE) management in UMTS cellular systems, tackling planning, provisioning, monitoring and optimisation issues in a single accessible resource. In addition, a detailed discussion is provided on service applications, QoS concept, architecture and functions in access, packet & circuit switched core and backbone networks.
- Defines and explains the differences between QoS and QoE, and end-to-end concept, based on the premise that it is the end-user who is the ultimate beneficiary of QoS.
- Covers QoS and QoE issues related to present and forthcoming service applications, including multimedia messaging service (MMS), Video Sharing (VS), content download, business connectivity, Push to talk over Cellular (PoC), Voice over IP (VoIP), presence, instant messaging, gaming, streaming and browsing.
- Presents QoS concepts and architecture as defined in 3GPP Releases 97/98, 99, 5, 6, and 7, and provides a comprehensive description of protocols and packet data transfer across WCDMA evolved and (E)GPRS networks.
- Discusses service driven radio network planning aspects for (E)GPRS and WCDMA.
- Includes three detailed chapters covering concepts, means and methods for QoS provisioning, QoS & QoE performance monitoring and optimisation.
This book is aimed at operators, vendors, deployers, consultants and managers specialising in the research, development, implementation, marketing and sales of products and tools for QoS and QoE management in UMTS networks. It will also be of interest to postgraduate students and researchers in the field of telecommunications and specialising in UMTS QoS and QoE principles and practices.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: QoS and QoE Management in UMTS Cellular Systems
The Art of Error Correcting Coding, 2nd Edition (Hardcover $118.00)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
1. Introduction (Noman Muhammad, Davide Chiavelli, David Soldani and Man Li).
1.1 QoE value chain.
1.2 QoS and QoE.
1.3 QoE and QoS management.
1.4 Organisation of the book.
2. Mobile Service Applications and Performance in UMTS (Renaud Cuny, Man Li and Martin Kristensson).
2.1 CS service applications.
2.2 Packet-switched service applications.
2.3 PS service performance in UMTS.
3. QoS in 3GPP Releases 97/98, 99, 5, 6 and 7 (Anna Sillanpa¨a¨ and David Soldani).
3.1 Where does QoS come from?
3.2 QoS concept and architecture.
4. Packet Data Transfer in UMTS Cellular Networks (David Soldani and Paolo Zanier).
4.1 Packet data transfer across EGPRS networks.
4.2 Packet data transfer across WCDMAnetworks.
4.3 Introduction to high-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA).
4.4 Introduction to high-speed uplink packet access (HSUPA).
5. QoS Functions in Access Networks (David Soldani, Paolo Zanier, Uwe Schwarz, Jaroslav Uher, Svetlana Chemiakina, Sandro Grech, Massimo Barazzetta and Mariagrazia Squeo).
5.1 QoS management functions in GERAnetworks.
5.2 QoS management functions in UTRAnetworks.
5.3 HSDPAwi th QoS differentiation.
5.4 HSUPAwi th QoS differentiation.
5.5 Service performance in UTRA-GERA networks.
5.6 3GPP–WLAN inter-working.
6. QoS Functions in Core and Backbone Networks (Renaud Cuny, Heikki Almay, Luis Alberto Pen˜a Sierra and Jani Lakkakorpi).
6.1 Circuit-switched QoS.
6.2 Packet-switched core QoS.
6.3 Backbone QoS.
7. Service and QoS Aspects in Radio Network Dimensioning and Planning (David Soldani, Carolina Rodriguez and Paolo Zanier).
7.1 WCDMAradio dimensioning and planning.
7.2 High-speed downlink packet access (HSDPA) dimensioning.
7.3 (E)GPRS dimensioning.
8. QoS Provisioning (David Soldani, Man Li and Jaana Laiho).
8.1 Hierarchy in QoS management.
8.2 Radio, core and transport QoS provisioning.
8.3 Service and mobile terminal QoS provisioning.
8.4 QoS provisioning tools.
8.5 Example of complete service management solution for NMS.
9. QoE and QoS Monitoring (David Soldani, Davide Chiavelli, Jaana Laiho, Man Li, Noman Muhammad, Giovanni Giambiasi and Carolina Rodriquez).
9.1 QoE and QoS assurance concept.
9.2 QoE monitoring framework.
9.3 QoS monitoring framework.
9.4 Post-processing and statistical methods.
9.5 Mapping between QoE and QoS performance.
9.6 QoE and QoS monitoring tools.
9.7 Example of complete service assurance solution for NMS.
10. Optimisation (David Soldani, Giovanni Giambiasi, Kimmo Valkealahti, Mikko Kylva¨ja¨, Massimo Barazzetta, Mariagrazia Squeo, Jaroslav Uher, Luca Allegri and Jaana Laiho).
10.1 Service optimisation concept and architecture.
10.1.1 Conceptual breakdown of service and QoS management.
10.2 QoS optimisation in GERAnetworks.
10.3 QoS optimisation in UTRAnetworks.
10.4 QoS optimisation in core and backbone networks.
10.5 Service application performance improvement.