Quantitative Reasoning: Tools for Today's Informed Citizen, 2nd Edition
This Second Edition of Quantitative Reasoning empowers students to use quantitative information to make responsible financial, environmental, and health-related decisions in their daily lives. Students develop their critical thinking skills through numerous examples, explorations, and activities featuring real data. Students use a variety of analysis throughout the text: inductive and deductive reasoning; tabular, symbolic, verbal, and graphical forms of functions and relations; graphs and pictorial representations of data; interpretations of probabilistic data; surveys and statistical studies.
Sevilla and Somer's Quantitative Reasoning, 2nd Edition comes available with WileyPLUS, a research-based, online environment for effective teaching and learning, which takes the guesswork out of studying by providing them with a clear roadmap: what to do, how to do it, and whether they did it right.
WileyPLUS sold separately from text.
Chapter 1: Organizing Information Pictorially Using Charts and Graphs
Chapter 2: Bivariate Data
Chapter 3: Graphs of Functions
Chapter 4: Multiple Variable Functions
Chapter 5: Proportional, Linear, and Piecewise Linear Functions
Chapter 6: Modeling with Linear and Exponential Functions
Chapter 7: Logarithms and Scientific Notation
Chapter 8: Indexes and Ratings
Chapter 9: Personal Finance
Chapter 10: Introduction to Problem Solving
Chapter 11: Decision Making
Chapter 12: Inductive Reasoning
Chapter 13: Deductive Reasoning
Chapter 14: Apportionment
Chapter 15: More on Problem Solving
Chapter 16: Average and Five-Number Summary
Chapter 17: Standard Deviation, z-Score, and Normal Distributions
Chapter 18: Basics of Probability
Chapter 19: Conditional Probability and Tables
Chapter 20: Sampling and Surveys
Chapter 21: More on Decision Making
- Updated data sets and real-world applications throughout.
- More Explorations added to each Topic.
- More engaging text design and available in hardcover for the first time.
- WileyPLUS research-based, online teaching and learning management system introduced with this text for the first time.
- Activity-based approach that combines class instruction with in-class student activities, encourages students to think critically about how math is used in the real world.
- Flexible Approach to Technology: Students use technology and Internet resources effectively and build skills in working with data. Text provides carefully written instructions on using Excel and the graphing calculator.
- Emphasis on real-world problems that students identify, analyze, and solve using quantitative information. Students reason quantitatively and make numerical arguments.
- Real data featured in problem solving helps students make the connection between the mathematics they learn and the issues they encounter in their daily lives.
- Chapters are efficiently organized into topics, objectives, examples, summaries, explorations, and activities.