Part I: Evolution: the genetic basis of quest.
2. Unity and diversity in living organisms.
3. Plants and microbes: the origin of vision.
4. Animals and man: development of human attributes.
Part II: Domination: the consequences of human quest.
5. Out of Africa: exploration and expansion.
6. The ladder: adversity and achievement.
7. Civilisation1: towns and temples.
8. Civilisation 2: communication and culture.
9. Technology: war and welfare
10. Religion: belief and dogma.
11. Science: explanation and experimentation.
Part III: Controversy: current quest.
12. Tinkering with genes1: GM foods.
13. Tinkering with genes 2: GM people.
14. Extinction or survival of Homo quaerens?
""…fluent, fast-moving…Quest is controversial…which all ambitious works like this one should be…"" (New Scientist, 23 August 2003)
""…I really enjoyed this book…What impressed me throughout was Parsternak’s use of science…"" (M2 Best Books, 7 December 2003)