Preface to the first edition.
Acknowledgments from the first edition.
Introduction to the second edition.
Introduction to the first edition.
1. Randomized controlled trials: the basics.
2. Types of randomized controlled trials.
3. Bias in randomized controlled trials.
4. Assessing the quality of randomized controlled trials: why, what, how, and by whom?.
5. Reporting and interpreting individual trials: the essentials.
6. From individual trials to groups of trials: reviews, meta-analyses, and guidelines.
7. From trials to decisions: the basis of evidence-based health care.
8. Ethics and clinical trials: are they compatible?.
9. Reprise: more musings.
"The most useful, important, relevant, thoughtful, and thought-provoking books about medical research … .The readers of this new book may feel a little confused or tired or worried about aspects of clinical trials, but they are sure to find a great deal of help and support at the same time. Congratulations—as always—to Alejandro Jadad and the unstoppable Murray Enkin." (Birth, September 2008)
- Question-led, easy-to-read text demystifies the principles of randomization and explores the pros and cons
- New chapters on ethics
- Ideal introduction for anyone needing to understand randomized controlled trials in medical journals