1. Reading the Bible as Literature.
2. Style, Tone, and Rhetorical Strategy.
3. Image, Metaphor, Symbol and Archetype.
4. Major Genres.
7. Themes and Motifs: A Way of Unifying.
Southeast Asian Review of English
"Dr Crain's book offers undergraduates an invaluable means of studying the biblical texts, systematically demonstrating how applying a host of different literary techniques can help illuminate the biblical writers' message. By analyzing the use of such rhetorical devices as image, metaphor, archetype, narration, and character portrayal, Dr Crain equips students to interpret the Bible responsibly and effectively."
Stephen Harris, California State University, Sacramento
"Reading the Bible as Literature has three overarching virtues in addition to its myriad individual insights into both literature and the Bible: it is a comprehensive introduction to the literary forms of the Bible; it is wonderfully systematic in its approach to the material; it is copious in its coverage of published scholarship on the Bible as literature."
Leland Ryken, Wheaton College
"Reading the Bible as Literature is a solid and sure introduction to the field. Crain hits all the bases here. She manages, through her conversational approach and well-designed additions, to create a resource which will serve as a strong introduction to an important field."
David G. Miller, Mississippi College
"As a teacher of the Bible, I often find students reading not the text itself, but instead recalling what they have heard about it. I am pleased to see Dr Crain opening up the biblical text to students once again."
John Strong, Missouri State University
- Provides an ideal entry-point to literary interpretations of the Bible.
- Introduces students to the key tools of literary analysis including language and style, character, genre and thematic analysis.
- Places an emphasis on close reading and utilizes extended examples from throughout the Bible to guide students through this approach.
- Provides extensive pedagogical support, including exercises, discussion questions, glossary, and a full website.