About the Authors.
Part I Leadership Epistemology: When You Understand, You Know What to Do.
1. Opportunities and Challenges in Academic Leadership.
2. Sensemaking and the Power of Reframing.
3. Knowing What You’re Doing: Learning, Authenticity, and Theories for Action.
Part II Reframing Leadership Challenges.
4. Building Clarity and Capacity: Leader as Analyst and Architect.
5. Respecting and Managing Differences: Leader as Compassionate Politician.
6. Fostering a Caring and Productive Campus: Leader as Servant, Catalyst, and Coach.
7. Keeping the Faith and Celebrating the Mission: Leader as Prophet and Artist.
Part III Sustaining Higher Education Leaders: Courage and Hope.
8. Managing Conflict.
9. Leading from the Middle.
10. Leading Difficult People.
11. Managing Your Boss.
12. Sustaining Health and Vitality.
13. Feeding the Soul.
Epilogue: The Sacred Nature of Academic Leadership.