Preface to the English Edition.
Chapter 1: The New Confusion about the Family.
Chapter 2: When Divorce Becomes Normal.
Chapter 3: Life as a Planning Project.
Chapter 4: Generational Contract and Gender Relations.
Chapter 5: We Want a Special Child.
Chapter 6: Towards the Multicultural Family.
"This book is a ‘must-read' for those interested in where family diversity is leading in terms of present-day relations between the sexes and generations, and the increasing tensions and incompatible demands of employment and family care. Beck-Gernsheim blends careful appraisal of evidence with bold speculation about future trends. She brings a welcome note of optimism, suggesting that the ‘reinvention' of family life expands opportunities, and that multicultural families can help heal ethnic and national divides. The book provides a new and relevant angle on old debates about family decline, family diversity, and social change. Beck-Gernsheim makes clear why family is much more than just another lifestyle choice." Jackie Scott, Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, Cambridge
- Considers the future of the family in contemporary society
- Investigates the growing tension between demands at work and at home
- Examines the breakdown of the conventional family unit
- Explores new choices open to individuals and the anxiety over the ensuing loss of stability
- A lively and accessible book on a very topical theme