1. An All-Christian Europe.
2. The Tradition Regime.
3. The Breach.
Part II: Permanent Facts.
4. 'The Religious Question' : Issues at Stake.
5. Opposing Forces and Traditions.
6. Rome and Papacy.
7. Religion and Nation. Two Universal Realities.
Part III: The Liberal Era of Secularization.
8. From Confessional State to State Neutrality.
9. From the Liberal State to Separation.
Part IV: The Second Era of Secularization.
10. Lasting Elements.
11. Factors of Renewal.
12. The Other Aspect of Secularization: The Churches' Independence.
13. An Amicable Secularization.
14. A Latent Secularization.
15. Today and Tommorrow.
Suggestions for Further Reading (in English).
"A valuable historical overview to how secularization has developed in two centuries of European history." Journal of Religion
"Remond provides one of the most lucid accounts of the history of secularisation in modern Europe, and tells the story in such a lively and readable style." Muslim World Book Review
* Traces the evolution of secular states from the religious societies of the past.
* Reveals convergence in religious experience between different countries across the continent.