1. Introduction: Andrew Gamble and Tony Wright.
2. The Rationale of the Minimal State: Norman Barry.
3. Neo-liberalism and the Theory of the State: From Wohlfahrtsstaat to Rechtsstaat: Raymond Plant.
4. Re-Stating Politics, Re-Politicising the State: Neo-liberalism, Economic Imperatives and the Rise of the Competition State: Colin Hay.
5. False Friend: The State and the Public Demain: David Marquand.
6. Leviathan Life: David Walker.
7. The State and the Market: John Kay.
8. Creating the Public Good: Charles Leadbeater.
9. The State and Innovations in Economic Governance: Colin Crouch.
10. New Localism, Progressive Politics and Democracy: Gerry Stoker.
11. Back to the Centre? Rebuilding the State: B. Guy Peters.
12. Reclaiming ‘The Public’ Through the People: Hilary Wainwright.