List of Contributors vii
About the Editors x
1 Restructuring Strategy 1
James Henderson, Karel Cool, and René Abate
Part I Industry and Network Competitiveness 15
2 Maintaining Collective Assets, the Tragedy of the Commons, and Supply Chain Performance: The Case of the Champagne Industry 17
Karel Cool and James Henderson
3 Organizing around Strategic Relationships: Networks of Suppliers as Knowledge Generators in the Italian Motorcycle Industry 44
Andrea Lipparini and Gianni Lorenzoni
4 Assessing the Knowledge Landscape across Firms in Alliance Networks and its Impact on Organizational Innovation Performance 68
Beiqing (Emery) Yao and Susan McEvily
5 Generative Interactions: The New Source of Competitive Advantage 86
Yves Morieux, Mark Blaxill, and Vladislav Boutenko
Part II Successful Business Strategies during Periods of Industry Structuring and Restructuring 111
6 Sustaining Superior Performance through a Bubble: Inter-firm Differences in the e-Consulting Industry 113
M. Julia Prats and Ashish Nanda
7 Delaying Market Entry: How Long Is Too Long? 139
Moren Lévesque and Dean A. Shepherd
8 Robust Capabilities? An Empirical Study of Incumbent-Entrant Product Development Capabilities after Radical Technological Change 153
9 The Form of Departure: The Consequences of Presumptive Adaptation of Franchising Knowledge for Local Network Growth 175
Gabriel Szulanski and Robert Jensen
Part III Superior Management and Governance Practices 205
10 A Bayesian Application of the Resource-based View: Narrowing the Gap between Theory and Practice 207
Mark H. Hansen, Lee T. Perry, and C. Shane Reese
11 How Much Do Middle Managers Matter, Really? An Empirical Study on their Impact on Sustained Superior Performance 236
12 Impacts of Justification Behavior: The Forgotten Costs of Corporate Governance? 251
Michael Nippa and Kerstin Petzold
13 A New Approach to Improving Board Vigilance: Shift the Focus to Board Process 268
Ann C. Mooney and Sydney Finkelstein
Industrial Relations <!--end-->
"The book is replete with excellent analysis of firm planning decisions. It draws insightful overarching conlusions."
- An exploration of the challenges that face industries, networks, businesses and management during periods of industry structuring and restructuring.
- Addresses key questions about the opportunities and threats posed by these periods of turmoil.
- Covers crucial topics such as industry and network competitiveness, successful business strategies in industry structuring and restructuring, and superior management and corporate governance practices.
- Written by a selection of recognised scholars in the field.
- Makes a distinctive contribution to scholarly thought and to management practice.