- Originally developed for mainframes but highly portable across platforms-from servers to desktops to handhelds-Rexx is an easy yet powerful scripting language that's widely used for rapid application development.
- Covers Rexx interpreters for specialized functions-object-oriented, mainframe, and handheld.
- There are 8 different free Rexx interpreters optimized for different platforms and uses. This book shows how to use them all.
- Shows how to script for GUIs, databases, web servers, XML, and other interfaces.
- Details how to make the best use of Rexx tools and interfaces, with examples for both Linux and Windows.
- Includes a tutorial with lots of examples to help people get up and running.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Scripting and Rexx.
Chapter 2: Language Basics.
Chapter 3: Control Structures.
Chapter 4: Arrays.
Chapter 5: Input and Output.
Chapter 6: String Manipulation.
Chapter 7: Numbers, Calculations, and Conversions.
Chapter 8: Subroutines, Functions, and Modularity.
Chapter 9: Debugging and the Trace Facility.
Chapter 10: Errors and Condition Trapping.
Chapter 11: The External Data Queue, or “Stack”.
Chapter 12: Rexx with Style.
Chapter 13: Writing Portable Rexx.
Chapter 14: Issuing System Commands.
Chapter 15: Interfacing to Relational Databases.
Chapter 16: Graphical User Interfaces.
Chapter 17: Web Programming with CGI and Apache.
Chapter 18: XML and Other Interfaces.
Chapter 19: Evolution and Implementations.
Chapter 20: Regina.
Chapter 21: Rexx/imc.
Chapter 22: Brexx.
Chapter 23: Reginald.
Chapter 24: Handhelds and Embedded Programming.
Chapter 25: Rexx for Palm OS.
Chapter 26: r4 and Object-Oriented roo!
Chapter 27: Open Object Rexx.
Chapter 28: Open Object Rexx Tutorial.
Chapter 29: IBM Mainframe Rexx.
Chapter 30: NetRexx.
Appendix A: Resources.
Appendix B: Instructions.
Appendix C: Functions.
Appendix D: Regina Extended Functions.
Appendix E: Mainframe Extended Functions.
Appendix F: Rexx/SQL Functions.
Appendix G: Rexx/Tk Functions.
Appendix H: Tools, Interfaces, and Packages.
Appendix I: Open Object Rexx: Classes and Methods.
Appendix J: Mod_Rexx: Functions and Special Variables.
Appendix K: NetRexx: Quick Reference.
Appendix L: Interpreter System Information.
Appendix M: Answers to “Test Your Understanding” Questions.