Shows government agencies how to meet the needs of customers seamlessly, that is, in a smooth, effortless, responsive manner. Details a step-by-step approach to assess, design and implement significant change in all levels of government?and how to overcome resistance along the way.
Table of contents
NEW REALITIES FOR PUBLIC AGENCIES.
1. The Quiet Revolution in American Government.
2. The Evolution of Work in Public and Private Bureaucracies.
3. A New Approach to Work: Re-Engineering and the SeamlessOrganization.
RE-ENGINEERING PUBLIC ORGANIZATIONS: PRINCIPLES, STRATEGIES, ANDGUIDELINES.
4. Principles of Re-Engineering.
5. Setting the Stage for Re-Engineering.
6. Re-Engineering Step-by-Step.
7. Overcoming Public Sector Constraints.
8. Aligning Systems to Support Seamless Work.
PULLING IT ALL TOGETHER.
9. Re-Engineering Lessons from Two Agencies.
10. Getting Started on Re-Engineering.
Conclusion: Working Without Walls.
"Seamless Government is full of fresh insights and illuminating examples. For readers outside the government, it will be a valuable guide to the ongoing struggle to improve the performance of public bureaucracies. For those inside the government (or other large organizations), it will be an indispensable how-to manual." (James Fallows, Washington editor, The Atlantic Monthly, and author of Looking at the Sun)