DescriptionWhy do some sites pop to the top when you search? How do you make yours one of them? You create sites that make search engines happy — that’s what search engine optimization is all about. Search Engine Optimization For Dummies has been the leading resource on how to make that happen, and this third edition is completely updated to cover the newest changes, standards, tips, and tricks.
This handy guide shows you how to get more visitors by getting more visibility for your Web site. Find out which search engines matter most, what they look for (and what they hate,) how to get your site included in the best indexes and directories, and the most effective ways to spend your advertising dollars. You’ll discover how to:
- Plan a search engine strategy
- Build pages that offer visibility
- Make your site rank high with the most important search engines
- Avoid things that search engines don’t like (and tricks that might actually get your site penalized)
- Use Google universal search, image search optimization, XML sitemaps, and more
- Choose the right keywords
- Track and measure your results
- Increase your exposure with shopping directories and retailers
- Boost your position with popular links and social networking sites
- Use pay-per-click in ways that get the most bang for your advertising buck
Search Engine Optimization For Dummies, 3rd Edition also helps you skirt some of the pitfalls and become a savvy advertiser. With this book at your side, you’ll never need to fear search engines again!
Part I: Search Engine Basics.
Chapter 1: Surveying the Search Engine Landscape.
Chapter 2: Your One-Hour Search Engine–Friendly Web Site Makeover.
Chapter 3: Planning Your Search Engine Strategy.
Chapter 4: Making Your Site Useful and Visible.
Part II: Building Search Engine–Friendly Sites.
Chapter 5: Picking Powerful Keywords.
Chapter 6: Creating Pages That Search Engines Love.
Chapter 7: Avoiding Things That Search Engines Hate.
Chapter 8: Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap.
Chapter 9: Bulking Up Your Site — Competing with Content.
Chapter 10: Finding Traffic via Geo-Targeting.
Part III: Adding Your Site to the Indexes and Directories.
Chapter 11: Getting Your Pages into the Search Engines.
Chapter 12: Submitting to the Directories.
Chapter 13: Buried Treasure — More Great Places to Submit Your Site.
Part IV: After You’ve Submitted Your Site.
Chapter 14: Using Link Popularity to Boost Your Position.
Chapter 15: Finding Sites to Link to Yours.
Chapter 16: Even More Great Places to Get Links.
Chapter 17: Using Shopping Directories and Retailers.
Chapter 18: Paying Per Click.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 19: Ten-Plus Ways to Stay Updated.
Chapter 20: Ten Myths and Mistakes.
Chapter 21: Ten-Plus Useful Things to Know.
Appendix: Staying Out of Copyright Jail.