Sedimentary Petrology: An Introduction to the Origin of Sedimentary Rocks, 3rd Edition
DescriptionThe earlier editions of this book have been used by successive generations of students for more than 20 years, and it is the standard text on the subject in most British universities and many others throughout the world.
The study of sediments and sedimentary rocks continues to be a core topic in the Earth Sciences and this book aims to provide a concise account of their composition, mineralogy, textures, structures, diagenesis and depositional environments.
This latest edition is noteworthy for the inclusion of 16 plates with 54 colour photomicrographs of sedimentary rocks in thin-section. These bring sediments to life and show their beauty and colorful appearance down the microscope; they will aid the student enormously in laboratory petrographic work. The text has been revised where necessary and the reference and further reading lists brought up-to-date. New tables have been included to help undergraduates with rock and thin-section description and interpretation.
- New 16-page colour section will mean students do not need to buy Longman Atlas
- All illustrations redrawn to higher standard
- Complete revision of text - new material on sedimentary geochemistry, etc
Preface to the second edition.
Preface to the first edition.
1. Introduction: Basic Concepts And Methodology.
2. Siliciclastic Sediments I: Sandstones, Conglomerates And Breccias.
3. Siliciclastic Sediments II: Mudrocks.
6. Sedimentary Ironstones And Iron-Formations.
7. Sedimentary Phosphate Deposits.
8. Coal, Oil Shale And Petroleum.
9. Cherts And Siliceous Sediments.
10. Volcaniclastic Sediments.
Colour plates fall between p. 118 and p. 119
"...a textbook designed for undergraduates, but it will also have a wider appeal. Many will find it, as I did, a painless and pleasant way to up-date their knowledge of the origin of sedimentary rocks and the modern techniques employed in the discipline. With a grounding in basic sedimentology the enthusiast will find much in this book of interest even without access to refined technology." Bonita Thomson, Open Universiy, Geology Today
- New 16-page colour section will mean students do not need to buy Longman Atlas.
- All illustrations redrawn to higher standard.
- Complete revision of text - new material on sedimentary geochemistry, etc.