Sensory Discrimination Tests and Measurements: Sensometrics in Sensory Evaluation, 2nd Edition
Sensory testing and measurement are the main functions of sensory analysis. In recent years, the sensory and consumer field has evolved to include both difference testing and similarity testing, and new sensory discrimination methods such as the tetrads have received more attention in the literature.
This second edition of Sensory Discrimination Tests and Measurements is updated throughout and responds to these changes and includes:
- A wide range of sensory measurements:
- Measurements of sensory effect (d', R-index and Gini-index);
- Measurements of performance of trained sensory panel (Intraclass correlation coefficients and Cronbachs coefficient alpha);
- Measurements of relative importance of correlated sensory and consumer attributes (drivers of consumer liking or purchase intent);
- Measurements of consumer emotions and psychographics;
- Measurements of time-intensity;
- Measurements of sensory thresholds;
- Measurements of sensory risk with negative sensory effects (Benchmark Dose, BMD, methodology)
- Measurements of sensory shelf life (SSL).
- A balanced introduction of sensory discrimination tests including difference tests and similarity tests.
- Bayesian approach to sensory discrimination tests.
- Modified and multiple-sample discrimination tests.
- Replicated discrimination tests using the beta-binomial (BB), corrected beta-binomial (CBB), and Dirichlet-multinomial (DM) models.
- Sensory discrimination methods including the tetrads and the M+N.
- R and S-Plus codes for all the measurements and tests introduced in the book.
Mainly intended for researchers and practitioners in the sensory and consumer field, the book is a useful reference for modern sensory analysis and consumer research, especially for sensometrics.
About the companion website xvii
1 Introduction 1
2 Measurements of sensory difference/similarity: Thurstonian discriminal distance 8
3 Measurements of sensory difference/similarity: area under ROC curve in Signal Detection Theory 42
4 Difference testing 60
5 Similarity (equivalence) testing 98
6 Bayesian approach to discrimination tests 139
7 Modified discrimination tests 162
8 Multiple-sample discrimination tests 202
9 Replicated discrimination tests: beta-binomial model 255
10 Replicated discrimination tests: corrected beta-binomial model 283
11 Replicated discrimination tests: Dirichlet–multinomial (DM) model 301
12 Measurements of sensory thresholds 329
13 Measurements of sensory risk with negative sensory effects 345
14 Measurements of time intensity 365
15 Measurements of sensory shelf life 398
16 Measurements of the performance of a trained sensory panel and panelists 412
17 Measurements of consumer emotions and psychographics 444
18 Measurements of the relative importance of attributes 463
Appendix A List of R/S-Plus codes, data files, and packages used in the book 486
Author Index 517
Subject Index 525