DescriptionFeeling overwhelmed by the buzz about SOA—service oriented architecture? Take heart! Service Oriented Architecture For Dummies, 2nd Edition makes it easy to understand, plan, and implement the latest SOA solutions for your business.
Whether you’re the IT person responsible for developing SOA or the executive who’s trying to get a handle on the concept, Service Oriented Architecture For Dummies, 2nd Edition will help you understand what SOA is, why it’s important, and how you can make the most of it. You’ll find out about the business and financial aspects of SOA, how to decide if you need it, and what it can mean to your bottom line. Discover how to:
- Identify the main components of SOA and how they work to create business processes
- Create reusable, flexible systems and avoid common pitfalls
- Deconstruct business processes and applications to identify their components, then put them together in new ways
- Construct SOA business applications for maximum adaptability
- Confirm quality in a situation that’s difficult to test, and assure the quality and consistency of your data
- Develop a governance strategy for SOA based on your company’s philosophy and culture
- Work with XML and understand how it’s used in SOA
- Maximize the benefits of unified communications
- Understand software ecosystems, rich interfaces, and the development lifecycle
Packed with real-life case studies illustrating how SOA has been applied in a variety of industries, Service Oriented Architecture For Dummies, 2nd Edition demystifies one of today’s hottest business tools.
Part I: Getting Started with SOA.
Chapter 1: Getting to Know SOA.
Chapter 2: Are You Ready for SOA? A Self Test.
Chapter 3: Making Sure SOA Happens.
Chapter 4: SOA Quick Start: Entry Points for Starting the SOA Journey.
Part II: Introducing SOA Basics.
Chapter 5: Understanding Software Architecture.
Chapter 6: Working with Software Components.
Chapter 7: Discovering the Main Components of SOA.
Chapter 8: Playing Fast and Loose: Loose Coupling and Federation.
Chapter 9: The Collaborative Lifecycle of the Business Process.
Part III: Nitty-Gritty SOA.
Chapter 10: (e)Xplaining XML.
Chapter 11: Dealing with Adapters.
Chapter 12: Discovering the Service Broker.
Chapter 13: The Enterprise Service Bus.
Chapter 14: The SOA Service Manager.
Part IV: SOA Sustenance.
Chapter 15: SOA Governance.
Chapter 16: SOA Security.
Chapter 17: Turning Data into Services.
Chapter 18: SOA Software Development.
Chapter 19: The Registry and the Repository.
Chapter 20: Putting Quality into SOA.
Part V: Real Life with SOA.
Chapter 21: Financial Services.
Chapter 22: Government.
Chapter 23: Healthcare.
Chapter 24: Hospitality and Travel.
Chapter 25: Information Services.
Chapter 26: Manufacturing and Distribution.
Chapter 27: Retail.
Chapter 28: Telecommunications.
Chapter 29: Utilities and Energy.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 30: Ten Swell SOA Resources.
Chapter 31: Ten SOA No-Nos.