Signal Transduction Pathways, Part C: Cell Signaling in Health and Disease, Volume 1095
Signal Transduction Pathways, Part C: Cell Signaling in Health and Disease, Volume 1095
ISBN: 978-1-573-31695-8 March 2007 Wiley-Blackwell 592 Pages
Download Product Flyer
The chapters have been published in four volumes (Part A to D), offering a comprehensive overview about this exciting topic.
This third volume focuses on the therapeutic potential for targeting cell signaling mechanisms with particular attention to cell signaling in healthy systems as well as in disease. Cancer therapies and the important area of chemoprevention are included.
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal. For information on institutional journal subscriptions, please visit www.blackwellpublishing.com/nyas.
ACADEMY MEMBERS: Please contact the New York Academy of Sciences directly to place your order (www.nyas.org). Members of the New York Academy of Science receive full-text access to the Annals online and discounts on print volumes. Please visit http://www.nyas.org/MemberCenter/Join.aspx for more information about becoming a member
Table of contents
Part I: Cancer:.
1. Cationic Surfactants Induce Apoptosis in Normal and Cancer Cells: Riyo Enomoto, Chie Suzuki, Masataka Ohno, Toshinori Ohasi, Ryoko Futagami, Keiko Ishikawa, Mika Komae, Takayuki Nishino, Yasuo Konishi, and Eibai Lee.
2. DMNQ S-64 Induces Apoptosis via Caspase Activation and Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibition in Human Nonsmall Lung Cancer Cells: Eu-Soo Lim, Yun-Hee Rhee, Min-Kyu Park, Beom-Sang Shim, Kyoo-Seok Ahn, Hee Kang, Hwa-Seung Yoo, and Sung-Hoon Kim.
3. Bcl-2 Expression in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma: B. Popovic, B. Jekic, I. Novakovic, L.J. Lukovic, Z. Tepavcevic, V. Jurisic, M. Vukadinovic, and J. Milasin.
4. Apoptotic Effect of Celecoxib Dependent Upon p53 Status in Human Ovarian Cancer Cells: Yoo-Cheol Song, Su-Hyeong Kim, Yong-Sung Juhnn, and Yong-Sang Song.
5. Breast Cancer Cells Response to the Antineoplastic Agents Cisplatin, Carboplatin, and Doxorubicin at the mRNA Expression Levels of Distinct Apoptosis-Related Genes, Including the New Member, BCL2L12: Hellinida Thomadaki and Andreas Scorilas.
6. Effect of Distinct Anticancer Drugs on the Phosphorylation of p53 Protein at Serine 46 in Human MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cells:Jozefa Wesierska-Gadek, Marieta Gueorguieva, Irene Herbacek, and Carmen Ranftler.
7. Significant Coexpression of GLUT-1, Bcl-xL, and Bax in Colorectal Cancer: Andrzej Wincewicz, Mariola Sulkowska, Mariusz Koda, Luiza Kanczuga-Koda, Ewa Witkowska, and Stanislaw Sulkowski.
8. Combination of Doxorubicin and Sulforaphane for Reversing Doxorubicin-Resistant Phenotype in Mouse Fibroblasts with p53Ser220 Mutation: Carmela Fimognari, Monia Lenzi, Davide Sciuscio, Giorgio Cantelli-Forti, and Patrizia Hrelia.
9. Aromatase Expression Was Not Detected by Immunohistochemistry in Endometrial Cancer: Yong-Tark Jeon, So Yeon Park, Yong-Beom Kim, Jae Weon Kim, Noh-Hyun Park, Soon-Beom Kang, Hyo-Pyo Lee, and Yong-Sang Song.
10. ER Stress Induces the Expression of Jpk, which Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in F9 Teratocarcinoma Cell: Hye Sun Kim, Kyoung-Ah Kong, Hyunjoo Chung, Sungdo Park, and Myoung Hee Kim.
11. Akt Involvement in Paclitaxel Chemoresistance of Human Ovarian Cancer Cells: Su-Hyeong Kim, Yong-Sung Juhnn, and Yong-Sang Song.
12. Expression of Leptin, Leptin Receptor, and Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1α in Human Endometrial Cancer: Mariusz Koda, Mariola Sulkowska, Andrzej Wincewicz, Luiza Kanczuga-Koda, Boguslaw Musiatowicz, Magdalena Szymanska, and Stanislaw Sulkowski.
13. The Cyclooxygenase-2 Selective Inhibitor Celecoxib Suppresses Proliferation and Invasiveness in the Human Oral Squamous Carcinoma:Young Eun Kwak, Nam Kyeoung Jeon, Jin Kim, and Eun Ju Lee.
14. The Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor ZD1839 (Iressa) Suppresses Proliferation and Invasion of Human Oral Squamous Carcinoma Cells via p53 Independent and MMP, uPAR Dependent Mechanism: Eun Ju Lee, Jin Ha Whang, Nam Kyeong Jeon, and Jin Kim.
15. Role of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor-D (VEGF-D) on IL-6 Expression in Cerulein-Stimulated Pancreatic Acinar Cells: Jangwon Lee, Kyung Hwan Kim, and Hyeyoung Kim.
16. Lack of Association of the Cyclooxygenase-2 and Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase Gene Polymorphism with Risk of Cervical Cancer in Korean Population: Taek Sang, Lee Yong Tark Jeon, Jae Weon Kim, Noh Hyun Park, Soon Beom Kang, Hyo Pyo Lee, and Yong Sang Song.
17. Increased Cyclooxygenase-2 Expression Associated with Inflammatory.
Cellular Infiltration in Elderly Patients with Vulvar Cancer: Taek Sang Lee, Yong Tark Jeon, Jae Weon Kim, Jae Kyung Won, Noh Hyun Park, In Ae Park, Yong Sung Juhnn, Soon Beom Kang, Hyo Pyo Lee, and Yong Sang Song.
18. Viability of a Human Melanoma Cell after Single and Combined Treatment with Fotemustine, Dacarbazine, and Proton Irradiation: Ivan M. Petrovic, Lela B. Koricanac, Danijela V. Todorovic, Aleksandra M. Ristic-Fira, Lucia M. Valastro, Giuseppe Privitera, and Giacomo Cuttone.
19. Response of a Human Melanoma Cell Line to Low and High Ionizing Radiation: Aleksandra M. Ristic-Fira, Danijela V. Todorovic, Lela B. Koricanac, Ivan M. Petrovic, Lucia M. Valastro, Pablo G.A. Cirrone, Luigi Raffaele, and Giacomo Cuttone.
20. Effect of Paclitaxel on Intracellular Localization of c-Myc and P-c-Myc in Prostate Carcinoma Cell Lines: Rosanna Supino, Enrica Favini, Giuditta Cuccuru, Franco Zunino, and A. Ivana Scovassi.
21. Erufosine: A Membrane Targeting Antineoplastic Agent with Signal Transduction Modulating Effects: M.M. Zaharieva, S.M. Konstantinov, B. Pilicheva, M. Karaivanova, and M.R. Berger.
Part II. Cell Signaling in Health and Disease:.
22. SHP-1 Tyrosine Phosphatase in Human Erythrocytes: Marcantonio Bragadin, Florina Ion-Popa, Giulio Clari, and Luciana Bordin.
23. Is the Distribution of Selenium and Zinc in the Sublocations of Spermatozoa Regulated?: Holger Bertelsmann, Harald Sieme, Dietrich Behne, and Antonios Kyriakopoulos.
24. Immune Complexes Induce Monocyte Survival through Defined Intracellular Pathways: Giordano Bianchi, Fabrizio Montecucco, Maria Bertolotto, Franco Dallegri, and Luciano Ottonello.
25. Inhibition of Serine–Threonine Protein Phosphatases in Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 Expression in Helicobacter pylori-Stimulated Gastric Epithelial Cells: Hae-Yun Chung, Boram Cha, and Hyeyoung Kim.
26. Cardioprotective Action of Urocortin in Early Pre- and Postconditioning: Barbara Cserepes, Gabor Jancso, Balazs Gasz, Boglarka Racz, Andrea Ferenc, Laszlo Benko, Balazs Borsiczky, Maria Kurthy, Sandor Ferencz, Janos Lantos, Janos Gal, Endre Arato, Attila Miseta, Gyorgy Weber, and Elizabeth Roth.
27. Novel Involvement of the Immunomodulator AS101 in IL-10 Signaling, via the Tyrosine Kinase Fer: Rami Hayun, Sali Shpungin, Hana Malovani, Michael Albeck, Eitan Okun, Uri Nir, and Benjamin Sredni.
28. Expression and Protective Role of Heme Oxygenase-1 in Delayed Myocardial Preconditioning: Gabor Jancso, Barbara Cserepes, Balazs Gasz, Laszlo Benko, Balazs Borsiczky, Andrea Ferenc, Maria Kurthy, Boglarka Racz, Janos Lantos, Janos Gal, Endre Arato, Loszlo Sinayc, Gyorgy Weber, and Erzsebet Roth.
29. Expression of Insulin Signaling Transmitters and Glucose Transporters at the Protein Level in the Rat Testis: Kersti Kokk, Esko Verajankorva, Xiao-Ke Wu, Helle Tapfer, Elle Poldoja, Helle-Evi Simovart, And Pasi Pollanen.
30. Effect of Endothelin on Sodium/Hydrogen Exchanger Activity of Human Monocytes and Atherosclerosis-Related Functions: George Koliakos, Christina Befani, Konstantinos Paletas, And Martha Kaloyianni.
31. Small GTPase Ras and Rho Expression in Rat Osteoblasts during Spaceflight: Yasuhiro Kumei, Hitoyata Shimokawa, Kei’ichi Ohya, Hisako Katano, Hideo Akiyama, Masahiko Hirano, and Sadao Morita.
32. Protein Expression in the Tissues of the Cardiovascular System of the Rat under Selenium Deficiency and Adequate Conditions: A. Kyriakopoulos, A. Richter, T. Pohl, C. Wolf, I. Grbavac, A. Plotnikov, M. Kuhbacher, H. Bertelsmann, and D. Behne.
33. Study on the Correlations among Disease Activity Index and Salivary Transforming Growth Factor-β1 and Nitric Oxide in Ulcerative Colitis Patients: Ali Rezaie, Sara Khalaj, Maryam Shabihkhani, Shekoufeh Nikfar, Mohammad J. Zamani, Azadeh Mohammadirad, Naser E. Daryani, and Mohammad Abdollahi.
34. Generation of ∆TAp73 Proteins by Translation from a Putative Internal Ribosome Entry Site: A. Emre Sayan, Jean-Pierre Roperch, Berna S. Sayan, Mario Rossi, M.J. Pinkoski, Richard A. Knight, Anne E. Willis, and Gerry Melino.
35. IRF-7: New Role in the Regulation of Genes Involved in Adaptive Immunity: Marco Sgarbanti, Giulia Marsili, Anna Lisa Remoli, Roberto Orsatti, and Angela Battistini.
36. A New Transcript Splice Variant of the Human Glucocorticoid Receptor: Identification and Tissue Distribution of hGR∆313–338, an Alternative Exon 2 Transactivation Domain Isoform: Jonathan D. Turner, Andrea B. Schote, Marc Keipes, and Claude P. Muller.
37. Exploitation of Host Signaling Pathways by B Cell Superantigens—Potential Strategies for Developing Targeted Therapies in Systemic Autoimmunity: Moncef Zouali.
Part III. Chemoprevention:.
38. Antineoplastic and Anticlastogenic Properties of Curcumin: Tzvetan Alaikov, Spiro M. Konstantinov, Tzvetomira Tzanova, Kyril Dinev, Margarita Topashka-Ancheva, and Martin R. Berger.
39. Sanguinarine Inhibits VEGF-Induced Akt Phosphorylation: Giuseppina Basini, Sujen Eleonora Santini, Simona Bussolati, and Francesca Grasselli.
40. Effect of Curcumin Treatment on Protein Phosphorylation in K562 Cells: Romain Blasius, Mario Dicato, and Marc Diederich.
41. Dosage Effects of Ginkgolide B on Ethanol-Induced Cell Death in Human Hepatoma G2 Cells: Wen-Hsiung Chan and Yan-Der Hsuuw.
42. Attenuation of Aβ-Induced Apoptosis of Plant Extract (Saengshik) Mediated by the Inhibition of Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Antioxidative Effect: Chu-Yue Chen, Jung-Hee Jang, Mi Hyun Park, Sung Joo Hwang, Young-Joon Surh, and Ock Jin Park.
43. Wogonin Prevents Immunosuppressive Action but Not Anti-Inflammatory Effect Induced by Glucocorticoid: Riyo Enomoto, Chie Suzuki, Chika Koshiba, Takayuki Nishino, Mikiko Nakayama, Hiroyuki Hirano, Toshio Yokoi, and Eibai Lee.
44. The Analgesic Effect of Tribulus terrestris Extract and Comparison of Gastric Ulcerogenicity of the Extract with Indomethacine in Animal Experiments: M.R. Heidari, M. Mehrabani, A. Pardakhty, P. Khazaeli, M.J. Zahedi, M. Yakhchali, and M. Vahedian.
45. Epigallocatechin Gallate Dose-Dependently Induces Apoptosis or Necrosis in Human MCF-7 Cells:Yan-Der Hsuuw and Wen-Hsiung Chan.
46. Resveratrol Induces Apoptosis in Chemoresistant Cancer Cells via Modulation of AMPK Signaling Pathway: Jin-Taek Hwang, Dong Wook Kwak, Sun Kyo Lin, Hye Min Kim, Young Min Kim, and Ock Jin Park.
47. Antioxidative Effects of Plant Polyphenols: From Protection of G Protein Signaling to Prevention of Age-Related Pathologies: Viktor Jefremov, Mihkel Zilmer, Kersti Zilmer, Nenad Bogdanovic, and Ello Karelson.
48. Jaceosidin, a Pharmacologically Active Flavone Derived from Artemisia argyi, Inhibits Phorbol-Ester-Induced Upregulation of COX-2 and MMP-9 by Blocking Phosphorylation of ERK-1 and -2 in Cultured Human Mammary Epithelial Cells: Min A Jeong, Ki Won Lee, Do-Young Yoon, and Hyong Joo Lee.
49. Effects of Selenium Diet on Expression of Selenoproteins in the Lung of the Rat: Katarzyna Bukalis, Dorothea Alber, Gregor Bukalis,Dietrich Behne, and Antonios Kyriakopoulos.
50. Protective Effects of Piceatannol against Beta-Amyloid–Induced Neuronal Cell Death: Hyo Jin Kim, Ki Won Lee, and Hyong Joo Lee.
51. Jaceosidin Induces Apoptosis in ras-Transformed Human Breast Epithelial Cells through Generation of Reactive Oxygen Species: Min-Jung Kim, Do-Hee Kim, Ki Won Lee, Do-Young Yoon, and Young-Joon Surh.
52. Involvement of AMPK Signaling Cascade in Capsaicin-Induced Apoptosis of HT-29 Colon Cancer Cells: Young Min Kim, Jin-Taek Hwang, Dong Wook Kwak, Yun Kyung Lee, and Ock Jin Park.
53. Epigallocatechin Gallate Inhibits Phorbol Ester-Induced Activation of NF-κB and CREB in Mouse Skin: Role of p38 MAPK: Joydeb Kumar Kundu and Young-Joon Surh.
54. Peonidin Inhibits Phorbol-Ester–Induced COX-2 Expression and Transformation in JB6 P+ Cells by Blocking Phosphorylation of ERK-1 and -2: Jung Yeon Kwon, Ki Won Lee, Haeng Jeon Hur, and Hyong Joo Lee.
55. Wogonin, a Plant Flavone, Potentiates Etoposide-Induced Apoptosis in Cancer Cells: Eibai Lee, Riyo Enomoto, Chie Suzuki, Masataka Ohno, Toshinori Ohashi, Azusa Miyauchi, Eriko Tanimoto, Kaori Maeda, Hiroyuki Hirano, Toshio Yokoi, and Chiyoko Sugahara.
56. Inhibitory Effects of 7-Carboxymethyloxy-3’,4’,5-Trimethoxy Flavone (DA-6034) on Helicobacter pylori-Induced NF-κB Activation and iNOS Expression in AGS Cells: Jeong-Sang Lee, Hyun-Soo Kim, Ki-Baik Hahm, Mi-Won Sohn, Moohi Yoo, Jeffrey A. Johnson, and Young-Joon Surh.
57. Phenolic Phytochemicals Derived from Red Pine (Pinus densiflora) Inhibit the Invasion and Migration of SK-Hep-1 Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells: Sang Jun Lee, Ki Won Lee, Haeng Jeon Hur, Ji Young Chun, Seo Young Kim, and Hyong Joo Lee.
58. KG-135 Inhibits COX-2 Expression by Blocking the Activation of JNK and AP-1 in Phorbol Ester–Stimulated Human Breast Epithelial Cells: Sin-Aye Park, Eun-Hee Kim, Hye-Kyung Na, and Young-Joon Surh.
59. Resveratrol Inhibits IL-1β–Induced Stimulation of Caspase-3 and Cleavage of PARP in Human Articular Chondrocytes in vitro: Mehdi Shakibaei, Thilo John, Claudia Seifarth, and Ali Mobasheri.
60. Possible Link Between NO Concentrations and COX-2 Expression in Systems Treated with Soy-Isoflavones: Jang-In Shin, Yun-Kyung Lee, Young Min Kim, Jin-Taek Hwang, and Ock Jin Park.
61. Assessment of the Effect of Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench on Apoptotic and Mitotic Activity of Liver Cells during Intoxication by Cadmium: Alina Smalinskiene, Vaiva Lesauskaite, Stanislovas Ryselis, Oleg Abdrakhmanov, Rima Kregzdyte, Ilona Sadauskiene, Leonid Ivanov, Nijole Savickiene, Virgilijus Zitkevicius, and Arunas Savickas.
62. Influence of Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench Extract on the Toxicity of Cadmium: Virgilijus Zitkevicius, Alina Smalinskiene, Vaiva Lesauskaite, Nijole Savickiene, Arunas Savickas, Stanislovas Ryselis, Rima Kregzdyte, Oleg Abdrakhmanov, Ilona Sadauskiene, and Leonid Ivanov.
Index of Contributors