Site Furnishings: A Complete Guide to the Planning, Selection and Use of Landscape Furniture and Amenities
DescriptionIntroducing the first all-in-one guide to site furniture principles, processes, and best practices
Furniture matters—outdoors as well as in. Understanding the connections between site and site furniture enhances the creative opportunities for designers of outdoor spaces and increases their ability to influence the long-term success of the spaces they design. Site Furnishings comprehensively examines how to elevate the design of site furnishings to achieve programming goals.
Intended for landscape architects, designers, and contractors, as well as urban planners and designers, civil engineers, and other professionals, this accessible resource explores the ways that furniture contributes to the quality of outdoor spaces, and provides conceptual tools, technical information, and examples of successful applications. Just as important, it provides an in-depth overview of the elements that comprise site furnishings and the critical issues that inform site furniture selection.
Supported by case studies and an abundance of high-quality photographs, Site Furnishings introduces professionals from all fields involved in site design to:
- Best practices, with a look at how these approaches lead to functional, responsive, and supportable outdoor spaces
- A step-by-step process for developing a furniture plan
- A typology of places that encompasses a wide spectrum of outdoor spaces, including parks and plazas, streetscapes, retail malls, theme parks, and transit hubs
- Management's role in the success of public spaces, supported by a detailed case study of how site and furniture management is implemented at New York's Bryant Park
- Sustainability, including the major issues involved in making sustainable site choices, where to obtain information, and industry initiatives to promote them
- Technical information on materials, installation methods, maintenance, and functional requirements of street and site furniture
1. The Role of Furniture in Outdoor Spaces.
2. The Furniture Plan.
3. Types of Spaces.
6. Other Site Furniture Elements and Accessories.
7. Selecting Site Furniture.
8. Accessible Design.
10. Materials and Finishes.
11. Installation and Maintenance.
Color Photo Credits.