Small Schools, Big Ideas: The Essential Guide to Successful School Transformation
The Coalition of Essential Schools and the CES Small Schools Project.
Introduction: An Academically Challenging Education for All.
Part One: Setting the Stage for Transformation.
1. A Commitment to Equity.
2. Confronting the Challenges.
3. Creating the Climate and Conditions for Change.
Part Two: Essential Principles for School Design.
4. Starting with Vision, Mission, and Goals.
5. Transformative Leadership.
6. Cultivating Professional Learning Opportunities.
Part Three: Essential Principles for Learning.
7. Student-Centered Teaching and Learning.
8. Demonstration of Mastery.
9. Access, Opportunity, and Preparation for Postsecondary Success.
Part Four: Embedding Successful Change.
10. School Culture, Practices, and Community.
11. Strategies for Sustainability.
Appendix A: Coalition of Essential Schools Common Principles.
Appendix B: Coalition of Essential Schools Benchmarks: Principles in Practice.
Appendix C: Profiled Schools and Organizations.
Appendix D: The Benefits of the CES Model: A Look at Recent Research.
Appendix E: Glossary of Useful Assessment Terms.