DescriptionSmart Environments contains contributions from leading researchers, describing techniques and issues related to developing and living in intelligent environments. Reflecting the multidisciplinary nature of the design of smart environments, the topics covered include the latest research in smart environment philosophical and computational architecture considerations, network protocols for smart environments, intelligent sensor networks and powerline control of devices, and action prediction and identification.
Foreword by (Howard E. Shrobe).
PART 1: INTRODUCTION.
1. Overview (D. Cook & S. Das).
PART 2: TECHNOLOGIES FOR SMART ENVIRONMENTS.
2. Wireless Sensor Networks (F. Lewis).
3. Power Line Communication Technologies (H. Latchman & A. Mundi).
4. Wireless Communications and Pervasive Technology (M. Conti).
5. Middleware (G. Youngblood).
6. Home Networking and Appliances (D. Marples & S. Moyer).
PART 3: ALGORITHMS AND PROTOCOLS FOR SMART ENVIRONMENTS.
7. Designing for the Human Experience in Smart Environments (G. Abowd & E. Mynatt).
8. Prediction Algorithms foor Smart Environments (D. Cook).
9. Location Estimation (Determination and Prediction) Techniques in Smart Environments (A. Misra & S. Das).
10. Automated Decision Making (M. Huber).
11. Privacy, Security, and Trust Issues in Smart Environments (P. Nixon, et al.).
PART 4: APPLICATIONS.
12. Lessons from an Adaptive Home (M. Mozer).
13. Smart Rooms (A. Chen, et al.).
14. Smart Offices (C. Gal).
15. Perceptual Environments (A. Pentland).
16. Assistive Environments for Individuals with Special Needs (A. Helal, et al.).
PART 5: CONCLUSIONS.
17. Ongoing Challenges and Future Directions (S. Das & D. Cook).
"…provides encyclopedic coverage of many possible aspects…a nice general overview of different aspects of smart environments." (Journal of Intelligent & Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2005)
"…it was quite important to come up with this book, in order to move this knowledge out of the same loop, and disseminate it to a larger audience, which will benefit from research on smart environments." (Computing Reviews.com, May 5, 2005)
"With contributions from leading researchers in a wide array of disciplines, this book presents the state of the art in this emerging field." (Computer Magazine, January 2005)