DescriptionPreparing a resume, putting together a job search portfolio, finding potential employers, interviewing, and generally advancing one's culinary career can be daunting. So You Are a Chef helps readers determine which culinary career path best suits his/her needs, set career goals, write up a resume, prepare a portfolio, contact prospective employers and interview for positions. Students are walked through the process of all this in the hopes of helping them achieve career success. So You are a Chef covers everything from getting potential job candidates pass the 30-second test and win interviews to networking and becoming an active member in professional organizations.
Each copy of the book includes a CD-ROM filled with helpful electronic tools, including
- Resume worksheet and checklist
- Resume templates
- Portfolio worksheet and checklist
- Job log
- Cover letter templates
- Thank you letter templates
- and goal-setting chart
Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: So You Are a Chef: Managing Your Culinary Career
So You Want to Be a Chef?: Your Guide to Culinary Careers, 2nd Edition (Paperback $46.95)
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
How to Use So You Are a Chef.
Resources for Instructors.
CHAPTER 1 Write Your Resume.
Types of Resumes.
The Ingredients of a Great Resume.
How to Write Your Resume.
Edit and Proofread.
Everything You Need to Know about References.
Profile: LEE COCKERELL, Executive Vice President of Operations, Walt Disney World® Resort (recently retired).
CHAPTER 2 Put Together a Job Search Portfolio.
Do I Really Need a Portfolio?
Choose How to Organize.
Collect the Contents.
Put the Portfolio Together.
Evaluate Your Portfolio.
Use a Portfolio in an Interview.
Keep Your Portfolio Up to Date.
CHAPTER 3 Beyond the Want Ads: How to Locate and Contact Prospective Employers.
Search the Hidden Job Market.
Search the Public Market.
Following Up on Contacts.
Filling Out Applications.
Writing Cover Letters.
CHAPTER 4 Three-Step Interviewing.
Before the Interview.
During the Interview.
After the Interview.
Tips for Special Situations.
If You Get a Job Offer.
Profile: L. TIMOTHY RYAN, EdD, CMC, President, The Culinary Institute of America.
CHAPTER 5 Advancing Your Career.
Succeeding in a Professional Kitchen.
Setting Career Goals.
When You Leave a Job.
American Academy of Chefs.
APPENDIX A Culinary Professional Organizations.
- Only book solely dedicated to the culinary professional’s job search
- Organized into five extensive chapters, each tackling a vital step in finding the best possible culinary job
- "On the Job with Culinary and Foodservice Professionals” features and full job descriptions included
- Includes CD-ROM containing Job and Career Inventory Checklists, Résumé Worksheets, Portfolio Templates, Interview Worksheets, and more
- Supplementary materials include an online Instructor's Manual and PowerPoint slides