List of Figures, Boxes and Tables
2. Policy and Nursing
3. Reforming the National Health Service: 1948 - 2010
4. Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS
5. Working in Partnership and the Policy Agenda
6. Policy and Technology: A Developing Relationship in the NHS
7. Empowering the Patients and the Public
8. Health Policy: Building a Healthier Nation and Reducing Health Inequalities
9. Working with Diversity and the Policy Agenda
10. Supporting People with Long-Term Conditions: A Policy Perspective
11. Policy and Nurse Professionalism Today: A Threat or a Promise?
12. Learning from the Past, Looking to the Future
Fabian Hamilton, Labour MP for Leeds North East
"As nursing and the NHS go through turbulent times, this book gives us the social policy context to remind us where we have come from, and assess what the future might hold."
James Buchan, Queen Mary University
"This book is highly contemporary and includes commentary on the latest in a series of dizzying changes to the NHS. Fatchett has the gift of summarising the key points of nearly 60 years of policy and drawing out their significance for nursing and nurses."
Michael Traynor, Middlesex University
- This new textbook offers a highly accessible, applied introduction to social policy, specifically tailored to the needs of nursing students of nursing
- Provides an essential overview of the changing shape of the NHS and the broader healthcare environment in the UK, helping nurses to situate themselves in a rapidly changing field
- Clarifies and elucidates the central concepts of sociology and social policy, avoiding abstraction and remaining firmly embedded in the everyday concerns of practicing nurses
- Includes a rich and comprehensive blend of exercises, case studies and illustrations, with further reading sections