DescriptionSoil Mechanics Lab Manual prepares readers to enter the field with a collection of the most common soil mechanics tests. The procedures for all of these tests are written in accordance with applicable American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards.
Video demonstrations for each experiment available on the website prepare readers before going into the lab, so they know what to expect and will be able to complete the tests with more confidence and efficiency. Laboratory exercises and data sheets for each test are included in the Soil Mechanics Lab Manual.
2. Measurement of Moisture Content.
3. Measurement of Specific Gravity of Soil Solids.
4. Measurement of Liquid Limit and Plastic Limit.
5. Analysis of Grain Size Distribution.
6. Laboratory Classification of Soil.
7. Field Classification of Soil.
8. Laboratory Soil Compaction.
9. Field Measurement of Dry Unit Weight and Moisture Content.
10. Measurement of Hydraulic Conductivity of Granular Soil Using a Fixed-Wall Permeameter.
11. One-Dimensional Consolidation Test of Cohesive Soil.
12. Direct Shear Strength Test of Granular Soil.
13. Unconfined Compressive Strength Test of Cohesive Soil.
14. Unconsolidated-Undrained Triaxial Shear Strength Test of Cohesive Soil.
Appendix A. Laboratory Data Sheets.
- Each chapter in the manual describes one test. Instructor may choose to combine more than one test during a given laboratory session. For example, the moisture content and specific gravity laboratory exercises are relatively short, so it would be reasonable to combine these exercises into one three-hour laboratory period.
- Structured Presentation: Each test is structured in the same manner, and includes the following sections:
- Section 1 – Applicable ASTM Standards;
- Section 2 – Video Demonstration Website;
- Section 3 – Purpose of Measurement;
- Section 4 – Definitions and Theory;
- Section 5 – Equipment and Materials;
- Section 6 – Procedure;
- Section 7 – Expected Results;
- Section 8 – Likely Sources of Error;
- Section 9 – Additional Considerations.
- Laboratory exercises and data sheets are included at the end of each chapter.
- Brief video demonstrations are available online for each of the laboratory experiments described in this manual. Each demonstration includes a brief background of the test, required equipment, and step-by-step procedure for the measurement and reduction of experimental data.
- Data sheets are written to be used for practical purposes as well as educational purposes, with places to insert information regarding project, boring number, and soil Recovery Depth/Method.
- The procedures for all of the tests described in this manual are written in accordance with applicable American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards. It is important to be familiar with these standards to under-stand, interpret, and properly apply laboratory results obtained using a standardized method. Each test described in this manual has an associated ASTM standard number.