DescriptionSpanish for Veterinarians, Second Edition, is designed to help you rapidly learn working Spanish for clinical conversations. Packed with the practical vocabulary information and conversational tools found in the first edition, the new edition now includes a new chapter on exotics and expanded information on the Spanish required for pre-consultation discussion. The pronunciation exercises, available online as audio files to help veterinary team members effectively and confidently use Spanish in their client communications, have also been revised and expanded. This new edition is a lively presentation of the Spanish that working vets increasingly need to know.
CHAPTER 1: Getting Started 3
Pronunciation of Spanish 3
Nouns and Plurals 5
Articles and Plurals 6
Names of Animals 6
CHAPTER 2: The Body and How to Describe It 11
External Body Parts 14
Internal Organs 15
CHAPTER 3: Verbs: Where the Action Is 19
Regular Verbs 19
Weak-Kneed Verbs 22
CHAPTER 4: Irregular Verbs 25
Four Essential Irregular Verbs: tener, estar, ser, and ir 25
World's Simplest Verb: hay 32
CHAPTER 5: How Long Has the Cow Had a Fever? 33
Duration of Time 33
The Present Perfect 34
The Verb dar 36
Feeding Vocabulary 37
CHAPTER 6: The Past and Accidents 41
Past Time Verbs 41
CHAPTER 7: Telling People What to Do 49
Verbal Shorthand 49
Giving Commands 50
Giving Something to Somebody 53
Polite Suggestions 54
CHAPTER 8: Taking a Clinical History 57
CHAPTER 9: The Diagnostic Exam 61
CHAPTER 10: Cattle 67
Special Vocabulary 68
CHAPTER 11: Horses 75
Special Vocabulary 76
CHAPTER 12: Sheep and Goats 79
Special Vocabulary 79
CHAPTER 13: Swine 83
Special Vocabulary 83
CHAPTER 14: Dogs and Cats 87
Special Vocabulary 87
CHAPTER 15: Exotic Pets 93
Special Vocabulary 93
APPENDIX: Registration Forms 99
Answer Key to Exercises 103
- A pronunciation guide and explanations of how to conjugate verbs.
- Ample vocabulary lists for animals, body parts, and diseases.
- Discussions on the role of animals in Hispanic culture and on how to handle introductions and small talk.
- Vocabulary for obtaining information for the clinical history and the diagnostic exam.
- Chapters on specific animals, including a new chapter on exotics.
- Vocabulary for check-in forms.
- An English-to-Spanish and Spanish-to-English dictionary of practical veterinary terms alphabetized together.