Speed Reading For Dummies
Speed Reading For Dummies
ISBN: 978-0-470-45744-3 August 2009 288 Pages
- Increase your reading speed and comprehension
- Use speed techniques for any type of reading material
- Improve your silent reading skills
- Recall more of what you read
The fun and easy way® to become a more efficient, effective reader!
Want to read faster and recall more of what you read? This practical, hands-on guide gives you the techniques you need to increase your reading speed and retention, whether you're reading books, e-mails, magazines, or even technical journals! You'll find reading aids and plenty of exercises to help you read faster and better comprehend the text.
- Yes, you can speed read discover the skills you need to read quickly and effectively, break your bad reading habits, and take in more text at a glance
- Focus on the fundamentals widen your vision span and see how to increase your comprehension, retention, and recall
- Advance your speed-reading skills read blocks of text, heighten your concentration, and follow an author's thought patterns
- Zero in on key points skim, scan, and preread to quickly locate the information you want
- Expand your vocabulary recognize the most common words and phrases to help you move through the text more quickly
Open the book and find:
- Tried-and-true techniques from The Reader's Edge® program
- How to assess your current reading level
- Tools and exercises to improve your reading skills
- Speed-reading fundamentals you must know
- Helpful lists of prefixes, suffixes, roots, and prime words
- A speed-reading progress worksheet
- Exercises for eye health and expanded reading vision
- Tips for making your speed-reading skills permanent
Table of contents
Part I: Introducing Speed Reading.
Chapter 1: Of Course You Can Speed Read!
Chapter 2: It’s All about Breaking Bad Reading Habits.
Chapter 3: Understanding the Mechanics of Speed Reading.
Chapter 4: Introducing Speed-Reading Fundamentals.
Part II: Focusing on the Fundamentals.
Chapter 5: Establishing Your Reading Rate.
Chapter 6: Taking in More than One Word at a Time: Reading in Clumps.
Chapter 7: Getting the Gist from Word Groups.
Part III: Advancing Your Speed-Reading Skills.
Chapter 8: Building Your Speed-Reading Momentum.
Chapter 9: Exercising Your Ability to Read More in Even Less Time.
Chapter 10: Other Reading Strategies to Supplement Your Speed Reading.
Chapter 11: Taking Advantage of Writing Structure to Read More Quickly.
Part IV: Improving Your Comprehension.
Chapter 12: Expanding Your Vocabulary to Become a Better Speed Reader.
Chapter 13: Applying Speed Reading to Various Reading Tasks.
Part V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 14: Ten Quick Techniques to Improve Your Reading Speed.
Chapter 15: Ten Exercises for Keeping Your Eyes Speed-Reading Ready.
Chapter 16: Ten Tips for Making Your Speed-Reading Skills Permanent.
Part VI: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Uncovering the Prime Words.
Appendix B: Your Speed-Reading Progress Worksheet.