A guide to the issues relevant to the design, analysis, and interpretation of toxicity studies that examine chemicals for use in the environment
Statistical Analysis of Ecotoxicity Studies offers a guide to the design, analysis, and interpretation of a range of experiments that are used to assess the toxicity of chemicals. While the book highlights ecotoxicity studies, the methods presented are applicable to the broad range of toxicity studies. The text contains myriad datasets (from laboratory and field research) that clearly illustrate the book’s topics. The datasets reveal the techniques, pitfalls, and precautions derived from these studies.
The text includes information on recently developed methods for the analysis of severity scores and other ordered responses, as well as extensive power studies of competing tests and computer simulation studies of regression models that offer an understanding of the sensitivity (or lack thereof) of various methods and the quality of parameter estimates from regression models. The authors also discuss the regulatory process indicating how test guidelines are developed and review the statistical methodology in current or pending OECD and USEPA ecotoxicity guidelines. This important guide:
• Offers the information needed for the design and analysis to a wide array of ecotoxicity experiments and to the development of international test guidelines used to assess the toxicity of chemicals
• Contains a thorough examination of the statistical issues that arise in toxicity studies, especially ecotoxicity
• Includes an introduction to toxicity experiments and statistical analysis basics
• Includes programs in R and excel
• Covers the analysis of continuous and Quantal data, analysis of data as well as Regulatory Issues
• Presents additional topics (Mesocosm and Microplate experiments, mixtures of chemicals, benchmark dose models, and limit tests) as well as software
Written for directors, scientists, regulators, and technicians in the pharmaceutical industry, Statistical Analysis of Ecotoxicity Studies provides a sound understanding of the technical and practical issues in designing, analyzing, and interpreting toxicity studies to support or challenge chemicals for use in the environment.