With Wiley’s Enhanced E-Text, you get all the benefits of a downloadable, reflowable eBook with added resources to make your study time more effective, including:
• Embedded & Searchable Tables & Figures
• Links to Datasets through wiley.com
• Video Solutions & Tutorials
• Dataset Index embedded including links to datasets by page number
Statistics: Unlocking the Power of Data, 2nd Edition continues to utilize these intuitive methods like randomization and bootstrap intervals to introduce the fundamental idea of statistical inference. These methods are brought to life through authentically relevant examples, enabled through easy to use statistical software, and are accessible at very early stages of a course. The program includes the more traditional methods like t-tests, chi-square texts, etc. but only after students have developed a strong intuitive understanding of inference through randomization methods. The focus throughout is on data analysis and the primary goal is to enable students to effectively collect data, analyze data, and interpret conclusions drawn from data. The program is driven by real data and real applications.
Unit A: Data
1. Collecting Data
2. Describing Data
Unit A: Essential Synthesis
Unit B: Understanding Inference
3. Confidence Intervals
4. Hypothesis Tests
Unit B: Essential Synthesis
Unit C: Inference with Normal and t-Distributions
5. Approximating with a Distribution
6. Inference for Means and Proportions
Unit C: Essential Synthesis
Unit D: Inference for Multiple Parameters
7. Chi-Square Tests for Categorical Variables
8. ANOVA to Compare Means
9. Inference for Regression
10. Multiple Regression
Unit D: Essential Synthesis
The Big Picture: Essential Synthesis
P. Probability Basics
Appendix A: Chapter Summaries
Appendix B: Select Data Descriptions
- New & Updated Exercises: The Second Edition includes over 300 completely new exercises. In addition to the many new exercises, over 100 exercises have been updated.
- Multiple Variables and Data Visualization: A new section on multiple variables and data visualization is incorporated into Chapter 2.
- StatKey Enhanced: The online interactive dynamic software has been enhanced, including adding the option to upload whole datasets with multiple variables.
- Many additional edits made to the text to improve the flow and clarity, keep it current, and respond to user and students feedback.
- Technology: A set of online interactive dynamic tools, called StatKey, is fully integrated with the text and is available on the web to illustrate key ideas and provide support for computer intensive procedures. Other than this optional user-friendly set of web tools, the text is not tied to any specific statistical software package. Output from a variety of different packages is regularly displayed so that students become comfortable reading output in different forms. Companion manuals (both print and online) are available to provide specific computing guidance for common statistical packages. The text uses many real datasets and all data is electronically available in multiple formats.
- Examples and Exercises: Applications in the text are drawn from a wide variety of disciplines, chosen primarily on the basis of perceived interest to students and instructors. Problems and exercises are plentiful and span a very wide range of difficulty levels, from very straightforward short answer problems to extended projects.
- Essential Synthesis: Integration of the parts into a coherent whole is also essential. To address this, sections called Essential Synthesis end each unit, in which students are asked to take a step back and look at the big picture. These integration sections will help to prepare students for the kind of statistical thinking they will most likely encounter after finishing the course.