Stock Assessment in Inland Fisheries
Stock Assessment in Inland Fisheries
Apr 1996, Wiley-Blackwell
I: Survey Methods.
1. Fish population survey methods: a synthesis (P. Hickley).
2. Electric fishing for the assessment of fish stocks in large rivers (J. Harvey and I.G. Cowx).
3. The use of resistivity fish counters in fish stock assessment (M. Aprahamians, S. Nicholson, D. McCubbing and I. Davidson).
4. Evaluation of a low disturbance methods for estimating population densities of juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) and trout (Salmo trutta L.) juveniles in chalk streams (D.J. Bird, G.W. Lightfoot and A.P. Strevens).
5. Assessment of the deep water trawl fisheries of the South East Arm of Lake Malawi using exploratory surveys and commercial catch data (M. Banda, T. Tomasson and D. Tweddle).
6. Selectivity of Breder traps for sampling fish fry (J. Kubecka).
7. Estimation of migrant yellow eel stock in large rivers through the survey of fish passes: a preliminary investigation in the River Meuse (Belgium) (E. Baras, J-CI, Philippart and B. Salmon).
II: Catch Effort Methods.
8. Catch census of coarse anglers in England and Wales (R. Steel, K. O'Hara and P.A. Smith).
9. Log books as a mechanism for assessing long-term trends in the salmonid fisheries, with particular reference to the sea trout stocks of the River Tywi (D.M. Evans).
10. Estimating historical trends of migratory fish runs into rivers without counters (I. Small).
11. Interpreting trends in adult Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) Populations from angling records: an analysis of catch and effort data from the River Spey (G.W. SMith, R. Laughton and S.J. Dora).
12. Catch and effort data and the management of the commercial fisheries of Itaipu reservoir in the upper Parana river, Brazil (E.D. Okada, A.A. Agostinho and M. Petrere Jr.).
III: Hydroacoustic Assessment.
13. Use of horizontal dual-beam sonar for fish surveys in shallow waters (J. Kubecka).
14. Application of a hydroacoustic sampling technique in a large wind-exposed, shallow lake (P.J. Mous, J. Kemper).
15. A hydroacoustic assessment of a rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) population in a deep oligotrophic lake (M. Cryer).
16. Stock assessment of the Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus) Population in Loch Ness, UK (C.W. Bean, I.J. Winfield and J.M. Fletcher).
17. Estimating fish production and biomass in the pelagic zone of Lake Malawi?Niassa: a comparison between acoustic observations and predictions based on biomass size-distribution theory (E.H. Allison).
IV: Population Models.
18. A length-structured matrix population model used as a fish stock assessment tool (W. Dekker).
19. Uncertainty in fish stock assessment based on bottom trawl surveys in Lake Ijsselmeer (A.D. Buijse and W. Dekker).
20. Technical Interactions in tropical floodplain fisheries of south and south-east Asia (D.D. Hoggarth and G.P. Kirkwood).
21. Estimation of Atlantic salmon (Samo salar L.) and sea trout (Salmo Trutta L.) run size and angling exploitation on the Welsh Dee, using mark-recapture and trap indices (I.C. Davidson, R.J. Cove, N.J. Milner and W.K. Purvis).
22. Population dynamics of steelhead trout in a coastal stream, the Keogh River, British Columbia (B.R. Ward).
23. Mark-recapture experiment in a sea trout (Salmo trutta L.) ranching stream: catch effort and sample size for a confident population estimate through the season (H.Kristiansen).
V: Case Studies - Lakes and reservoirs.
24. Stock assessment considerations in large lakes and reservoirs (E. Allison).
25. Stock assessment in Sri Lankan reservoirs: A review (U.S. Amarasinghe).
26. Progress and problems in the stock assessment of Lake Tanganyika sardines (B.E. Marshall).
27. Limitations of catch and effort data collection methods used for inland fisheries in the SADC region, with particular references to Zimbabwe (J.J. Mandima).
28. Trout yield Lake Taupo, New Zealand: anglers' eldorado or just another fishery? (M. Cryer).
29. Assessment and prediction of whitefish stock (Coregonus lavaretus) of Lake Constance (Bodensee) (H. Loffler).
30. The use of depletion fisheries data in fish stock assessment in Lake Wolderwijd, The Netherlands (J.J. G.M. Backx).
VI: Case Studies - Rivers.
31. Stock assessment considerations for riverine fisheries (D. C. Jackson).
32. Growth and mortality rates of an endangered species, Synodontis Victoriae, in Sondu/ Miriu River, Kenya (J. Muli and W. OjWang).
33. Stock assessment fisheries population dynamics in Spanish mountain streams (D. Garcia Dejolan, M. Mayo and F. Hervella).
34. Stock assessment of European eel Anguilla anguilla L. (B. Knights, E. Withe and I.A. Naismith).
35. Exploitation of Alosa Pontica in the Danube Delta, Romania (I. Navodaru).
36. Age and growth of Petenia splendida Gunther in the San Pedro River (Southern Mexico) (J-L. Noiset and J-CI. Micha).
VII: Fisheries Management.
37. Maximization of yields from African Lakes (G.F. Turner).
38. Community-based management in inland fisheries: case studies from two Malaysian fishing communities (A.B. Ali).
39. The integration of fish stock assessment into fisheries management (I.G. Cowx).