DescriptionStrategies for Protecting National Critical Infrastructure Assets eases the research burden, develops investigative protocols, and pulls together data into a comprehensive and practical guide, to help the serious reader understand advanced concepts and techniques of risk assessment with an emphasis on meeting the security needs of the critical national infrastructure. The text is divided into five major sections, which are further broken down by individual chapters, each addressing one element of risk assessment as well as focusing attention on applying the risk assessment methodology to a particular industry. This book establishes a new and acceptable approach for conducting risk assessments in a high-risk world.
- Helps the reader to understand advanced concepts and techniques of risk assessment
- Provides a quick, reliable, and practical "briefcase" reference to use in the office as well as on the road
- Introduces the elements of the risk assessment process by defining its purpose and objectives, describing the behavioural and physical sciences, the techniques employed in the process, and the measurement and evaluation tools and standards used to perform an objective risk assessment.
2. Environments That Influence the Security Assessment: Threat, Western Values, and the National Critical Infrastructure Sectors.
PART II: UNDERSTANDING SECURITY ASSESSMENTS.
3. The Security Assessment: What, Why, And When.
4. A Proven Security Assessment Methodology.
5. Task 1--Project Strategic Planning: Understanding Service Requirements.
6. Task 2--Critical Assessment: Understanding the Service Environment.
7. Task 3--Identify And Characterize Threats to the Service Environment.
8. Task 4--Evaluate Program Effectiveness.
9. Task 5--Program Analyses.
10. Reporting Security Assessment Results.
PART III: TAILORING THE S3E SECURITY METHODOLOGY TO SPECIFIC CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS.
11. The Water Sector.
12. The Energy Sector.
13. The Transportation Sector.
14. The Chemical and Hazardous-Materials Sector.
15. The Agriculture and Food Sector.
16. The Banking and Finance Sector.
17. The Telecomunications Sector.
Describes a practical, proven approach that has been used in over 3,000 security assessments in thirty countries
Features three primary sections: an introduction that helps analysts understand today's challenging environment; an overview of security assessment methodology broken down into five specific elements; and details on tailoring the methodology to specific industries
Defines the purpose of the security assessment process, the behavioral and physical sciences brought into play, the techniques used, and measurement and evaluation tools and standards
Presents an S3E comprehensive, system-integrated methodology supported by user-friendly, step-by-step guidance that is complemented by a series of S3E Security Assessment Methodology matrices
Includes chapters dedicated to specific infrastructure sectors: water; energy; transportation; chemical industry and hazardous materials; agriculture and food; banking and finance; and telecommunications
Provides worksheets that facilitate the cataloging and documenting of research data