- Completely updated edition, written by a close-knit author team
- Presents a unique approach to stroke - integrated clinical management that weaves together causation, presentation, diagnosis, management and rehabilitation
- Includes increased coverage of the statins due to clearer evidence of their effectiveness in preventing stroke
- Features important new evidence on the preventive effect of lowering blood pressure
- Contains a completely revised section on imaging
- Covers new advances in interventional radiology
2 Development of knowledge about cerebrovascular disease.
3 Is it a vascular event and where is the lesion?.
4 Which arterial territory is involved?.
5 What pathological type of stroke is it, cerebral ischaemic or haemorrhage?.
6 What caused this transient or persisting ischaemic event?.
7 Unusual causes of ischaemic stroke and transient ischaemic attack.
8 What caused this intracerebral haemorrhage?.
9 What caused this subarachnoid haemorrhage?.
10 A practical approach to the management of stroke and transient ischaemic attack patients.
11 What are this person’s problems? A problem-based approach to the general management of stroke.
12 Specific treatments for acute ischaemic stroke.
13 Specific treatment of intracerebral haemorrhage.
14 Specific treatment of aneurismal subarachnoid haemorrhage.
15 Specific interventions to prevent intracranial haemorrhage.
16 Preventing recurrent stroke and other serious vascular events.
17 The organization of stroke services.
18 Reducing the impact of stroke and improving the public health.
"All the chapters are excellent, but the nearly 100-page chapter on the general management of stroke is a masterpiece, dealing at the highest scientific level with daily practical problems that are often neglected in other books." (New England Journal of Medicine)
Reviews of the first edition
"This is a comprehensive review of virtually all clinically important aspects of stroke and cerebrovascular disease...I highly recommend this book..." (Archives of Neurology)
"...this is medical book of the year (or even decade), you should buy two copies and give one to your mum..." (JNNP)
"'Must reading' for any physician who treats patients with stroke, it presents a unique blend of academic and clinical perspectives. I highly recommend it..." (Mayo Clinic Proceedings)
"...a remarkable piece of work...The book is written in a brilliant didactic form..." (Gerontology)
● Presents a unique approach to stroke - integrated clinical management that weaves together causation, presentation, diagnosis, management and rehabilitation
● Includes increased coverage of the statins due to clearer evidence of their effectiveness in preventing stroke
● Features important new evidence on the preventive effect of lowering blood pressure
● Contains a completely revised section on imaging
● Covers new advances in interventional radiology