DescriptionThis manual for civil and structural engineers aims to simplify as much as possible a complex subject which is often treated too theoretically, by explaining in a practical way how to provide uncomplicated, buildable and economical foundations.
It explains simply, clearly and with numerous worked examples how economic foundation design is achieved. It deals with both straightforward and difficult sites, following the process through site investigation, foundation selection and, finally, design.
- includes chapters on many aspects of foundation engineering that most other books avoid including
- filled and contaminated sites
- mining and other man-made conditions
- features a step-by-step procedure for the design of lightweight and flexible rafts, to fill the gap in guidance in this much neglected, yet extremely economical foundation solution
- concentrates on foundations for building structures rather than the larger civil engineering foundations
- includes many innovative and economic solutions developed and used by the authors’ practice but not often covered in other publications
- provides an extensive series of appendices as a valuable reference source.
For the Second Edition the chapter on contaminated and derelict sites has been updated to take account of the latest guidelines on the subject, including BS 10175. Elsewhere, throughout the book, references have been updated to take account of the latest technical publications and relevant British Standards.
* Updated to cover changes to British Standards, plus new guidelines on ground contamination.
* This book concentrates on structural foundations - other books deal primarily with soil mechanics or civil engineering foundations (e.g. dams)
* Helps the designer make the right choice of foundation with the more economic solution - many foundations are “over-designed”
* Includes a broad range of step-by-step worked examples
* 'an excellent reference and one of the greatest strengths is the extensive practical experience from Curtins' - The Structural Engineer