Supervision in the Hospitality Industry, 8th Edition focuses on the different roles of employees from beginning leaders, newly promoted supervisor, or anyone planning a career in the hospitality field. A market leader, this text is widely used by thousands of students training for a career in the hospitality industry and current hospitality supervisors alike. Supervision is unique in that it does not solely rely on the supervisor’s point of view; instead, it considers the viewpoints of all levels of associates to create an informed picture of management and supervision in the hospitality industry.
Chapter 1: The Supervisor as Manager
The Supervisor's Role
Obligations and Responsibilities of a Supervisor
Functions of Management
Theories of People Management
Tips for New Supervisors
Chapter 2: The Supervisor as Leader
Characteristics of Leaders
The Nature of Leadership
Choosing a Leadership Style
Developing Your Own Style
The Supervisor as Mentor
Chapter 3: Planning, Organizing, and Goal Setting
The Nature of Planning
Types of Plans and Planning
Planning for Change
Planning Your Own Time
Organizing for Success
Chapter 4: Communicating Effectively
The Importance of Good Communication
Why Communication is So Important
Obstacles to Good Communication
Directing People at Work
Chapter 5: Equal Opportunity Laws and Diversity
Equal Opportunity in the Workplace
Equal Employment Opportunity Laws
EEO Laws and the Hiring Process
Equal Opportunity in the Workplace: What Leaders Need to Know
Why Does Cultural Diversity Matter?
How to Increase Personal Awareness
How to Recognize and Practice Cross-Cultural Interaction
Establishing a Diversity and Inclusion Program
Managing Diversity Issues Positively
Chapter 6: Recruitment, Selection, and Orientation
The Labor Market
Determining Labor Needs
Selecting the Right Person
Chapter 7: Performance Effectiveness
What a Good Performance Standard System Can Do
Setting Up a Performance Standard System
Implementing a Performance Standard System
Essentials of Performance Evaluation
Making the Evaluation
The Appraisal Interview
Legal Aspects of Performance Evaluation
Chapter 8: Motivation
Employee Expectations and Needs
Theories of Motivation
Applying Theory to Reality: Limiting Factors
Building a Positive Work Climate
Focus: The Individual
Focus: The Job--Providing an Attractive Job Environment
Focus: The Leader
Chapter 9: Supervising Teams, Teambuilding, and Coaching
What is a Team?
Installing Total Quality Management
Overcoming Team Challenges
Chapter 10: Employee Training and Development
Importance of Training
Who Will Do the Training?
How Employees Learn Best
Developing a Job-Training Program
Overcoming Obstacles to Learning
Turnover and Retention
Chapter 11: Conflict Management, Resolution, and Prevention
What is Conflict?
Chapter 12: Discipline
Essentials of Discipline
Approaches to Discipline
Employee Assistance Programs
The Supervisor's Key Role
Chapter 13: Decision Making and Control
How to Make Good Decisions
Building Decision-Making Skills
Chapter 14: Delegating
What Delegation Means
Essentials of Delegation
Benefits of Delegation
Why People Resist Delegation
How to Delegate Successfully
• New and updated case studies have been added to the end of each chapter. Chapter 6 has the addition of brand new social media recruiting and hiring suggestions, detailing the use of LinkedIn and Instagram in the workplace.
• Coverage of diversity in the workplace has been revised and expanded in Chapter 5.
• Updated coverage on delegation, which includes sections on supervisors delegating and common mistakes in delegating.
• Now Featuring WileyPLUS Learning Space! WileyPLUS Learning Space is an easy way for students to learn, collaborate, and grow. With WileyPLUS Learning Space, students create a personalized study plan, assess progress along the way, and make deeper connections as they interact with the course material and each other.
• Focuses directly on leading human resources, especially front-line associates, and applying the wisdom of leadership theory and experience to the hard realities of the hospitality industry in down-to-earth terms.
• Enhanced with more industry examples and the addition of new key terms and concepts.
• Learning objectives have been inserted directly into the chapters to facilitate and monitor the learning process.
• An improved organizational structure, with special attention paid to chunking large sections of content into more manageable, easier-to-remember sections.