Supply Chain Management Best Practices
Supply Chain Management Best Practices
PART I: INTRODUCTION TO SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT.
1. If Supply Chain Is the Answer, Then Whatâ??s the Question?
You Knew This Job Was Dangerous When You Took It.
The Big Picture.
The Supply Chainâ??s Back Story.
Roadblocks on the Supply Chain Path.
Separating the Good from the Best.
2. Anatomy of a Supply Chain.
Automotive: Building Customer Loyalty for the Long Term.
Chemicals: Finding the Right Supply Chain Formula.
Consumer Packaged Goods:The Moment of Truth.
Food and Beverage: Cutting Out the Middleman.
High-Tech/Electronics: Zero Latency.
Pharmaceuticals: Fighting Counterfeiters with RFID.
Retail: Optimizing the Inventory.
3. Supply Chain Metrics: Measuring Up to High Standards.
How to Prevent a Supply Chain Heart Attack.
What Makes a Supply Chain Leader?
Learn the SCOR.
PART II: TRADITIONAL CORE PROCESSES OF SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT.
4. Planning and Forecasting: Headed for the Future.
A Bias against Good Plans.
From Soup to S&OP.
No Time Like the Real Time.
The Truth Plays Out.
The First Shall Be First.
A Happy Ending.
5. Procurement: Go Right to the Source.
Giving Procurement Its Due.
Managing the Changes.
Keep Your Friends Close and Your Suppliers Closer.
Looking Backward to See Forward.
Working for Every Penny.
Ensuring a Healthy Supply Chain.
The War on Complexity.
It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time.
An Online Car Wreck.
6. Manufacturing: Supply Chain on the Make.
A Direct Line to Supply Chain Success.
Better Decisions for the Customer.
A Leaner Shade of Blue.
Lean, Mean Flying Machine.
Learning to Share.
Collaborating on Product Designs.
7. Transportation: Logistics a la Mode.
Riding the Roads.
Regulations and Deregulation.
Fuel for Thought.
A Capacity for Change.
Know Thyself, and Thy Carrier, Too.
How to Achieve Sustainable Savings.
Collaboration Is a Two-Way Street.
A Carrier by Any Other Name.
Automate to Consolidate.
8. Distribution and Warehousing: Going with the Flow.
Cross-Docking, Compliance, and Collaboration.
Where the Rubber Meets the Load.
Can You Hear Me Now?
Turn, Turn, Turn.
Half-Full or Half-Empty?
How to Better Manage Your Warehouse.
9. Site Selection: Location, Location, Location.
Striking the Proper Balance.
A Site for Sore Eyes.
Finding the Right Place.
A Look at Gilletteâ??s Distribution Network.
Cost versus Service.
Match Your Network to Your Business Strategy.
How Much Is Too Much?
Weighing the Intangibles.
Quality over Quantity.
10. Globalization: Itâ??s a Not-So-Small World.
Playing by Somebody Elseâ??s Rules.
Develop a Global Vision.
Take a Look for Yourself.
â??Low Costâ?? Sometimes Means â??Poor Serviceâ??.
Living in a Flat World.
Keeping an Eye on China.
The Need for Supply Chain Visibility.
Unclogging West Coast Congestion.
11. Customer Service: Keeping the Customer Satisfied.
The Perfect Order.
The High Cost of Imperfection.
One Good Return Deserves Another.
Supply Chain in Reverse.
Managing the Relationship.
Money in the Bank.
Supply Chain at Your Service.
A Culture of Customer Satisfaction.
PART III: SUPPLY CHAIN STRATEGIES.
12. 3PLs: When Youâ??d Rather Not Do It Yourself.
A Shift to the Supply Chain Side.
Letting Somebody Else Do It.
Supply Chain Essentials and Nonessentials.
Finding Your Core Competency.
Square Pegs and Round Holes.
The Financial Impact of Outsourcing.
Staying in Touch.
Going Beyond the 3PL Model.
Outpacing the Competition.
13. Collaboration: Extending the Enterprise.
Mutually Beneficial Relationships.
Winning Small Victories.
A Better Way to Sell Mouthwash.
A Nine-Step Program for CPFR.
Great Expectations, So-So Results.
More Reliability and Better Service.
Challenges in Supplier Management.
How to Get the Most Out of a Relationship.
14. Security: Seeking Shelter from Supply Chain Storms.
â??Itâ??ll Never Happen Hereâ??.
Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism.
Getting Countries to Talk to Each Other.
Sometimes Low-Tech Is as Good as High-Tech.
Taking Responsibility for Your Supply Chain.
Securing the Supply Chain.
Taking Steps toward Effective Compliance.
Supply Chains at Risk.
15. RFID: A Game of Tags.
The ABCs of RFID.
In Search of Payback.
Tagging Till the Cows Come Home.
Work the Bugs Out.
A Matter of Privacy.
No Need to Be Passive.
16. The Supply Chain Profession: What Keeps You Up at Night?
Hiring Problem Solvers.
Training the Next Generation.
Optimizing the Workforce.
What Keeps You Up at Night?
The Secret to Supply Chain Success.
- Editor of one of the leading supply chain newletters, LOGISTICS TODAY, describes what it means to have a "best-in-class" supply chain by showing how leading companies are doing it.
- Identifies proven strategies, solutions, and performance metrics for supply chain management best practice benchmarks.
- Shows how to manage supply chains in a global marketplace and how to choose third party providors.
- Indicates how best practices result from focusing on people, customers, and suppliers.
"…good and interesting book, and has a place on every supply chain manager's shelf..." (Supply Chain Digest; 8/23/07)
"Packed with anecdotes, interviews, case studies, research and analysis” (Government Opportunities, August 2007)
"Conversational and easy to read…A fine book…recommended." (Supply Management, July 2007)