Before the Earth Summit.
The Earth Summit and After.
Effectiveness of Policies.
2. Resources and Environment:.
Source and Sink Problems.
Changes in Natural Resources.
Changes in Environment.
3. Sustainable Development: Interpretations:.
Biogeophysical and Ecological Aspects.
Economic Growth and Sustainability.
Irreversibility and Nonlinearity.
The Precautionary Principle.
4. Managing Global Commons:.
Global Warming Potential.
Economics of the Greenhouse Effect.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Policies.
Economics of Green Tax.
Appendix: Economic Models for Green Taxes.
5. Poverty and Environment:.
Poverty, Prosperity and the Environment.
Trends in Poverty.
Poverty Reduction and Sustainability.
Structural Adjustments and Public Finance.
Policy Alternatives and Political Economy.
6. Valuing Resources and Future:.
Valuing Environmental Resources.
Market and Non-Market Valuations.
Net National Product and Sustainability.
Technical Progress and Sustainability.
Changes in Preferences and Discounting.
Choosing Discount Factors.
Appendix: Models for Net National Product and Sustainability.
7. Green Accounting:.
Assessing Environmental Costs.
Green National Accounts.
Integrated Economic and Environmental Accounting.
Indicators for Sustainability.
8. Debt, Trade and Environment:.
Internal Debt and Sustainability.
External Debt and Trade.
Debt and Environment.
Trade and Environment.
9. Governance and Private Sector:.
Markets and the Environment.
Regulations and Compliance Incentives.
Private Investment and Sustainability.
Mechanisms for Private Financing.
10. International Institutions:.
Global Policy Institutions.
External Financing and Institutions.
Local Knowledge, Resources and Institutions.
International Institutional Mechanisms.
11. Policy Framework:.
Methods of Operation.
National and Local Policies.
Directions for the Future.
- Up-to-date, comprehensive and easy-to-digest presentation of complex analytical and methodological issues.
- Integrated view of debt-poverty-trade environment.
- Role of endogenous factors in the valuation of future.
- Discussion of foundations of modern economic logic for analytical models.
- Role of institutional governance for sustainable development.
- Extensive inclusion of references for each chapter.
- Several tables of statistical data.
- Glossary explains terminology.