Teaching and Learning from the Inside Out: Revitalizing Ourselves and Our Institutions: New Directions for Teaching and Learning, Number 130
1. Principles and Practices of the Circle of Trust Approach 3
Terry Chadsey, Marcy Jackson
The directors of the Center for Courage & Renewal discuss the principles and practices of a Circle of Trust approach that have broad applicability across disciplines of teaching and learning.
2. Soul and Role Dialogues in Higher Education: Healing the Divided Self 15
Paul Michalec, Gary Brower
This chapter describes the creation of a university faculty–staff group formed to explore the deep heartfelt and heartbroken nature of work in academia and to develop an intentional community to discuss ways of working productively in the tension between soul and role in higher education.
3. The Circle of Trust Approach and a Counselor Training Program: A Hand in Glove Fit 27
Judith A. Goodell
This chapter explains how the Circle of Trust principles and practices have been actively infused in a Master's of Counseling Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy Program and issues a call for systemic reform in our institutions of higher education to embrace a model more aligned with the relational and connected world in which we live.
4. Dialing In to a Circle of Trust: A 'Medium' Tech Experiment and Poetic Evaluation 37
Christine T. Love
A distance learning model in Montana uses "found poems" as an evaluative tool to provide evidence that elements of transformational learning are achievable without direct face-to-face interaction between participants.
5. The Power of Paradox in Learning to Teach 53
This chapter acknowledges the inherent uncertainty of both teaching and learning to teach and how learning to hold paradoxes may help teacher candidates live creatively with ambiguity.
6. The Role of Identity in Transformational Learning, Teaching, and Leading 67
Michael I. Poutiatine, Dennis A. Conners
This chapter explores the relationship between the development of identity and integrity and the process of transformation within the context of a leadership preparation program.
7. Lessons Learned from Transformational Professional Development 77
Twyla T. Miranda
A description and evaluation of a transformational professional development approach resulting in school cultures with greater relational trust and responsibility and commitment therein.
8. Circles of Learning in Mississippi: Community Recovery and Democracy Building 89
Bonnie Allen, Estrus Tucker
How an innovative community recovery and democracy building project, begun in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, offers a new approach for social change that addresses the root of human suffering lodged deep in the human heart where seeds of transformation also rest.
9. Measuring the Impact of the Circle of Trust Approach 101
This research identifies the impact of the Circle of Trust experience on the personal lives of the participants and the ways in which the experience has led to constructive action in their professional roles.