This text is designed to provide a mathematically rigorous, comprehensive coverage of topics and applications, while still being accessible to students. Calter/Calter focuses on developing students’ critical thinking skills as well as improving their proficiency in a broad range of technical math topics such as algebra, linear equations, functions, and integrals. Using abundant examples and graphics throughout the text, this edition provides several features to help students visualize problems and better understand the concepts. Calter/Calter has been praised for its real-life and engineering-oriented applications. The sixth edition of Technical Mathematics has added back in popular topics including statistics and line graphing in order to provide a comprehensive coverage of topics and applications—everything the technical student may need is included, with the emphasis always on clarity and practical applications. WileyPLUS, an online teaching and learning environment that integrates the entire digital text, will be available with this edition.
This item: Technical Mathematics with Calculus, 6th Edition
2. Introduction to Algebra.
3. Simple Equations and Word Problems.
7. Right Triangles.
8. Oblique Triangles and Vectors.
9. Systems of Linear Equations.
10. Determinants and Matrices.
11. Factors and Fractions.
12. Quadratic Equations.
13. Exponents and Radicals.
14. Radian Measure, Arc Length, and Rotation.
15. Graphs of the Trigonometric Functions.
16. Trigonometric Identities and Equations.
17. Ratio, Proportion, and Variation.
18. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions.
19. Complex Numbers.
20. Sequences, Series, and the Binomial Theorem.
21. Analytic Geometry.
22. Statistics and Probability
23. Derivatives of Algebraic Functions.
24. Graphical Applications of the Derivative.
25. More Applications of the Derivative.
27. Applications of the Integral.
28. More Applications of the Integral.
29. Trigonometric, Logarithmic, and Exponential Functions.
30. First-Order Differential Equations.
31. Second-Order Differential Equations.
Appendix A: Summary of Facts and Formulas.
Appendix B: Conversion Factors.
Appendix C: Table of Integrals.
Appendix D: Answers to Selected Problems.
- New Chapter, New Section: This edition contains a new chapter on statistics as well as a new section on straight line graphing.
- Revised Exercises: Many of the exercises have been revised to ensure they are scaffolded in difficulty level from easy to challenging.
- Clarity of presentation: This is the feature most mentioned by reviewers, and has obvious benefits to students and instructors.
- Technical Applications: The technical applications provide motivation for the student and examples for an instructor who may not have a technical background. Additionally, an Index to Applications aids in finding applications in a particular field, such as electrical technology.
- Estimation: Shows a student whether an answer is reasonable or not reasonable. They show common pitfalls for both student and instructor and are flagged and boxed, wherever appropriate.
- Formulas: Formulas used in the text are boxed and numbered, and listed in the Appendix as the Summary of Facts and Formulas.
- Writing, Projects, Internet: Every chapter concludes with a section of optional enrichment activities. Many students are attracted to the magic and history of mathematics and welcome a guided introduction into this world. These writing questions aim to test and expand a student's knowledge of the material and perhaps explore areas outside of those covered in class while team projects foster "collaborative learning."