Textbook of Bone Metastases
Textbook of Bone Metastases
ISBN: 978-0-470-01161-4 January 2006 582 Pages
Bone metastases have generally received insufficient attention because of the difficulty in quantifying them, which has left them outside the scope of therapeutic trials
This textbook is the result of the remarkable progress made in the understanding of the molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in osteogenesis and osteolysis, and their development for therapeutic purposes. The treatment of malignant hypercalcaemia has also been revolutionised by the use of bisphosphonates.
The Textbook of Bone Metastases presents a broad approach to recent progress in all fields related to bone metastases, ranging from epidemiology to the physiopathology of bone metastases and therapeutics. It provides a better understanding of recent advances and, more importantly, will give clinicians all the information needed to help them in the clinical and therapeutic management of patients with bone metastases.
Table of contents
SECTION 1: BIOLOGY OF BONE METASTASES (R. Coleman).
1. General mechanisms of metastasis (S. Eccles).
2. Parathyroid hormone-related Protein and Bone metastases (T. Martin, et al.).
3. Osteoblastic Metastases (P. Croucher).
4. The Role of RANK, RANK Ligand and Osteoprotegerin in the Lytic Effects and Growth of Bone Metastases (C. Dunstan).
SECTION 2: CLINICAL FEATURES AND ASSESSMENT (R. Coleman).
5. Clinical Features and Prognosis of Bone Metastases (T. Plunkett & R. Rubens).
6. Radio-isotope and PET Imaging of Bone Metastases (G. Cook & I. Fogelman).
7. Imaging of Spinal Bone Metastases (R. Guillevin, et al.).
8. Monitoring Response to Treatment - the Role of Biochemical Markers (R. Coleman & J. Brown).
9.Surgical Biopsy of Bone Metastases (M. Salaï & I. Dudliewicz).
SECTION 3: SURGICAL TREATMENT (R. Capanna).
10. Indications for the Surgical Treatment of Long Bone Metastases (R. Capanna & D. Campanacci).
11. Prosthetic Replacement in Long Bone Metastases (B. Fuchs, et al.).
12. Osteosynthesis for Pathological Fractures in Long Bones (P. Dijksta & A. Taminiau).
13. Surgical Treatment of Pelvic Metastases (R. Windhager).
14. Indications and Strategy for the Treatment of Spinal Metastases (E. Enkaoua).
15. Surgical Techniques for the Treatment of Bone Metastases of the Spine (S.Boriani) .
16. Total En Bloc Spondylectomy for Spinal Metastases (N. Kawahara, et al.).
SECTION 4: LOCAL TREATMENTS (L. Coia).
17. External Beam Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Bone Metastases - (P. Anderson & L. Coia) .
18. Interventional Radiology for Bone Metastases (J. Chiras, et al.).
19. Percutaneous Injection of Ethanol (A. Cotten & L. Ceugnari).
SECTION 5: SYSTEMIC TREATMENTS (C. Jasmin).
20. Chemotherapy - (M. Green & G. Hortobagyi).
21. Endocrine Treatment of Bone Metastases (S. Agelaki & V. Georgoulias).
22. Overview of Osteoclast Inhibitors (J. Body).
23. Radioisotopes and Radioimmunoisotopes (I. Resche, et al.).
24. Immunotherapy (T. Plunkett & D. Miles).
SECTION 6: BISPHOSPHONATES (R. Coleman).
25. Mechanisms of Action of Bisphosphonates (M. Rogers).
26. Antitumor Effects of Bisphosphonates (P. Clézardin).
27. Management of Hypercalcaemia (S. Ralston).
28. Treatment of Lytic Bone Metastases (K. Gwyn & R. Theriault).
29. Use in Multiple Myeloma (J. Berenson).
30. Use in Prostate Cancer (R. Coleman).
31. Prevention of Bone Metastases (R. Coleman &H. Neville-Webbe).
32 Prevention of Bone Loss (R. Ashford, et al.).
33. Cost Implications of Bisphosphonates (E. McCloskey, et al.).
SECTION 7: THE GLOBAL APPROACH (C. Jasmin).
34. Treatment of Bone Pain (D. Lossignol).
35. Specific Approaches to Cancer in the Elderly (L. Balducci).
36. Psychological and Social Aspects (O. Gilbar).
37. Metabolic Bone Diseases in Childhood Cancer (V. Tillman, et al.).
SECTION 8: BONE METASTASES IN SPECIFIC TUMOURS (L. Coia).
38. Breast Cancer (W. Hartsell).
39. Prostate Cancer (E. Chow, et al.).
40. Multiple Myeloma (R. Kyle).
41. Malignant Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (O. Reman).
42. Lung Cancer (D. Roos).
43. Kidney Cancer (U Malik & M. Mohiuddin).
44. Evaluation of the Patient with Bone Metastases at Presentation (P. Hoskin).
"...this textbook is comprehensive and will be a useful reference for medical students, oncologists, orthopedists, and general practitioners alike." (New England Journal of Medicine, November 24, 2005)