Buy Both and Save 25%!
This item: The Blackwell Companion to the Hebrew Bible
Cannot be combined with any other offers.
Preface: The Hebrew Bible in Current Research.
Part I: The Hebrew Bible in Modern Study.
1. Preparatory Issues in Approaching Biblical Texts: Antony F. Campbell, SJ.
2. Methods of Modern Literary Criticism: David Jobling.
3. Social Scientific Approaches: Charles E. Carter.
Part II: Israelite and Early Jewish History.
4. Early Israel and the Rise of the Israelite Monarchy: Carol Meyers.
5. The History of Israel in the Monarchic Period: Leslie J. Hoppe.
6. Exile, Restoration, and Colony: Judah in the Persian Empire: Robert P. Carroll Part III: Archaeology of Ancient Israel and Early Judaism.
7. Archaeology and the History of Israel: William G. Dever.
8. Biblical and Syro-Palestinian Archaeology: William G. Dever.
Part IV: The Religious and Social World of Ancient Israel and Early Judaism.
9. Canaan: Dennis Pardee.
10. The Household in Ancient Israel and Early Judaism: Joseph Blenkinsopp.
11. Archaeology, the Israelite Monarchy, and the Solomonic Temple: William G. Dever.
12. Schools and Literacy in Ancient Israel and Early Judaism: André Lemaire.
Part V: Old Testament Theology.
13. Modern Approaches to Old Testament Theology: Henning Graf Reventlow.
14. Symmetry and Extremity in the Images of YHWH: Walter Brueggemann.
15. Theological Anthropology in the Hebrew Bible: Phyllis A. Bird.
16. The Community of God in the Hebrew Bible: R. E. Clements.
17. Old Testament Ethics: Bruce C. Birch.
Part VI: The Torah.
18. Creation and Redemption in the Torah: Rolf Rendtorff.
19. Law and Narrative in the Pentateuch: Calum Carmichael.
Part VII: The Prophets.
20. Former Prophets: The Deuteronomistic History: Hermann Spieckermann.
21. Latter Prophets: The Major Prophets: Klaus Koch.
22. Latter Prophets: The Minor Prophets: James L. Crenshaw.
Part VIII: The Writings.
23. Narrative Texts: Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah: Ralph W. Klein.
24. The Psalter: Erhard S. Gerstenberger.
25. Wisdom Literature: Katharine J. Dell.
26. Apocalyptic Literature: John J. Collins.
“The very informative and comprehensive contributions are all written by internationally leading scholars. The companion is a welcome and helpful tool for modern biblical study and deserves attention from a wide range of readers.”
Dr Konrad Schmid, University of Heidelberg
" The volume will undoubtedly be a useful reference work, ... enabling undergraduate students in particular to orientate themselves when embarking on OT studies."
Iwan Rhys Jones, The Evangelical Theological College of Wales Bryntirion
"Most of us who teach Old Testament/Hebrew Bible continue to search for the perfect textbook. Might the Blackwell Companion signal an end to the quest,... The Blackwell Companion is a monumental work, produced from the labor of many at the apex of their scholarly careers."
Esther E. Menn, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
- Provides a stimulating, comprehensive, and authoritative survey of Old Testament study
- Consists of newly commissioned articles from an impressive range of top international Old Testament scholars, from the UK, Europe, Canada, and the USA
- Explores the history, archaeology, theology, sociology, and ancient Near Eastern context of the Hebrew Bible
- Addresses questions of methodology, interpretation, and the academic study of the Old Testament
- Features a useful introduction that provides an overview of the discipline, and a guide to the interconnections between individual articles
- Offers an ideal tool for students, not just for use on one course, but over several years of study