Notes on the Editors.
Notes on the Contributors.
1. Relationships between Practice and Research in Personnel Selection: Does the Left Hand Know What the Right Is Doing? (Neil Anderson).
Part I: Preparing for Selection.
2. Job Analysis: Current and Future Perspectives (Olga F. Smit-Voskuijl).
3. The Impracticality of Recruitment Research (Alan M. Saks).
4. The Design of Selection Systems: Context, Principles, Issues (Robert A. Roe).
5. Is the Obvious Obvious? Considerations About Ethical Issues in Personnel Selection (Olga F. Voskuijl, Arne Evers and Sacha Geerlings.
Part II: Developments in the Use of Different Kinds of Predictors.
6. The Selection/Recruitment Interview: Core Processes and Contexts (Robert L. Dipboye).
7. Cognitive Ability in Personnel Selection Decisions (Deniz S. Ones and Stephan Dilchert.
8. Personality in Personnel Selection (Jesús F. Salgado and Filip de Fruyt).
9. Emotional Factors as Selection Criteria (Charles Woodruffe).
10. Situational Judgment Tests (David Chan, and Neal Schmitt).
11. Assessment Centers: Recent Developments in Practice and Research (Filip Lievens and George C. Thornton).
Part III: Decisions and their Context.
12. Decision Making in Selection (Marise Ph. Born and Dora Scholarios).
13. Relevance and Rigor in Research on the Applicant’s Perspective: In Pursuit of Pragmatic Science (Anna L. Imus and Ann Marie Ryan).
14. Ethnic Bias and Fairness in Personnel Selection: Evidence and Consequences (Arne Evers, Jan Te Nijenhuis and Henk van der Flier).
Part IV: Criterion Measures.
15. The Prediction of Typical and Maximum Performance in Employee Selection (Ute-Christine Klehe and Neil Anderson).
16. Job Performance: Assessment Issues in Personnel Selection (Chockalingam Viswesvaran and Deniz S. Ones).
17. The Prediction of Contextual Performance (Lisa M. Penney and Walter C. Borman).
Part V: Emerging Trends and Assessment for Change.
18. Computer-Based Testing and the Internet (Dave Bartram).
19. A Review of Person--Environment Fit Research: Prospects for Personnel Selection (Annelies E. M. Van Vianen).
20. Selection of Leaders in Global Organizations (Nicole Cunningham-Snell and David Wigfield, Shell).
21. Expatriate Selection: A Process Approach (Annelies E. M. Van Vianen, Irene E. De Pater and Paula M. Caligiuri).
22. Selection for Teams (Natalie J. Allen and Michael M. West).
23. Multilevel Selection and Prediction: Theories, Methods, and Models (Robert E. Ployhart and Benjamin Schneider).
- This Handbook provides a state-of-the-art review of theory, research, and professional practice in the field of selection and assessment.
- Reviews research and practical developments in all of the main selection methods, including interviews, psychometric tests, assessment centres, and work sample tests.
- Considers selection from the organization’s and the applicant’s perspective, and covers the use of new technology in selection and adverse impact issues.
- Each section includes contributions from internationally eminent authors based in North America and Europe.