The Blackwell Reader in Social Psychology
The Blackwell Reader in Social Psychology
May 1997, Wiley-Blackwell
DescriptionThe articles have been carefully chosen to illustrate key theoretical developments in the field, as well as popular research programmes.
1. Introduction to a History of Social Psychology.
Contemporary Social Psychology in Historical Perspective: D. Cartwright.
2. Evolutionary Social Psychology.
Sex Differences in Jealousy: Evolution, Physiology and Psychology: D. M. Buss.
3. Developmental Social Psychology.
The Development of Children's Preference for their own Country: A Cross-National Study: H. Tajfel et al.
4. Methodology in Social Psychology: Putting Ideas to the Test.
Experimentation in Social Psychology: A Reappraisal: K. J. Gergen.
Part II: Construction of the Social World:.
5. Basic Concepts and Approaches in Social Cognition.
Forming Impressions of Personality: S. E. Asch. A Hypothesis- Confirming Bias in Labelling Effects: J. M. Darley and P. H. Gross.
6. Processing Social Information for Judgements and Decisions.
Cognitive Representation of Personality Impressions: Organizational Processes in First Impressions Formation: D. L. Hamilton et al.
Reconstructing the Past: Some Cognitive Consequences of Person Perception: M. Snyder and S. W. Uranowitz.
7. Attribution Theory: Basic Issues and Applications.
Videotape and the Attribution Process: Reversing Actor's and Observers' Points of View: M. D. Storms.
Attributions and Behaviour in Marital Interaction: T. N. Bradbury and F. D. Fincham.
8. Attitudes: Structure, Measurement and Functions.
Empirical Validation of Affect, Behaviour, and Cognition as Distinct Components of Attitude: S. J. Breckler.
Prediction of Goal-Directed Behaviour: Attitudes, Intentions, and Perceived Behavioural Control: I. Ajzen and T. J. Madden.
9. Principles of Attitude Formation and Strategies of Attitude Change.
Decision Freedom as a Determinant of the Role of Incentive Magnitude in Attitude Change: D. E. Linder, J. Cooper and E. E. Jones.
Personal Involvement as a Determinant of Argument-Based Persuasion: R. E. Petty, J. T. Cacioppo and R. Goldman.
Part III: Emotion, Communication and Relationships:.
Cognitive, Social and Physiological Determinants of Emotional States: S. Schachter and J. E. Singer.
Constants Across Cultures in the Face and Emotion: P. Ekman and W. V. Friesen.
11. Interpersonal Communication. Secondary Baby Talk: Judgements by Institutionalized Elderly and their Caregivers: L. R. Caporeal, M. P. Lukazewski and G. H. Culbertson.
Channel Consistency and Inconsistency in the Communications of Married Couples: P. Noller.
12. Affiliation, Attraction and Close Relationships.
Romantic Love Conceptualized as Attachment Process: C. Hazan and P. Shaver.
Commitment and Satisfaction in Romantic Associations: A Test of the Investment Model: C. E. Rusbult.
13. Prosocial Behaviour.
From Jerusalem to Jericho: A Study of Situational and Dispositional Variables in Helping Behaviour: J. M. Darley and C. D. Batson.
A Lady in Distress: Inhibiting Effects of Friends and Strangers on Bystander Intervention: B. Latane and J. Rodin.
14. Aggressive Behaviour.
Weapons as Aggression-Eliciting Stimuli: L. Berkowitz and A. LePage.
Attribution of Apparent Arousal and Proficiency of Recovery from Sympathetic Activation Affecting Transfer to Aggressive Behaviour: D. Zillmann, R. C. Johnson and K. D. Day.
Part IV: Social Groups:.
15. Group Performance.
Many Hands Make Light the Work: The Causes and Consequences of Social Loafing: B. Latane, K. Williams and S. Harkins. Productivity Loss in Brainstorming Groups: Towards the Solution of a Riddle: M. Diehl and W. Stroebe.
16. Social Influence in Groups.
Influence of a Consistent Minority on the Responses of a Majority in a Color Perception Task: S. Moscovici et al. Behavioural Study of Obedience: S. Milgram.
17. Intergroup Relations.
Intergroup Discrimination and Self-Esteem in the Minimal Group Paradigm: L. Lemyre and P. M. Smith. Intergroup Contact: The Typical Member and the Exception to the Rule: D. A. Wilder.
Part V: Epilogue:.
18. Applied Social Psychology.
Social Support and Immune Function Among Spouses of Cancer Patients: R. S. Baron, C. E. Cutrona, D. Hicklin, D. W. Russell and D. M. Lubaroff.
The Social Psychology of Eyewitness Accuracy: Misleading Questions and Communicator Expertise: V. L. Smith and P. C. Ellsworth.
- The only reader in social psychology with a European Perspective
- Developed to accompany the highly successful Hewstone, Stroebe and Stephenson textbook, but also works as a stand-alone volume or with other texts
- Each selection includes a substantial introduction and commentary to encourage critical skills.