1. What was Byzantium?.
2. The changing shape of Byzantium: from late antiquity to the tenth century.
3. The changing shape of Byzantium: from the tenth century to 1453.
4. The Byzantine mirage.
5. Ruling the Byzantine state.
6. An orthodox society?.
7. How people lived.
8. Education and culture.
9. Byzantium and Europe.
10. Byzantium and the Mediterranean.
"Seeks consistently to place Byzantium in Context and to make the reader question fundamental preconceptions about the Byzantine empire." (Anglo-Hellenic Review)
- This volume brings Byzantium – often misconstrued as a vanished successor to the classical world – to the forefront of European history
- Focuses on the identity, ethnicity, and culture of the Byzantine people
- Deconstructs stereotypes surrounding Byzantium
- Beautifully illustrated with photographs and maps