DescriptionThis volume brings together, for the first time, a variety of texts from Certeau's book and journal publications which have proved important in the various disciplines where Certeau has had an influence.
Introduction. (Graham Ward).
Part I Other Times: Historiography.
1 Introduction: Michael de Certeau on Histography.
2 Writings and Histories.
3 History: Science and Fiction.
Part II Other Cities: Cultural Politics.
4 Introduction. (Tom Conley).
5 A Symbolic Revolution.
6 The Social Architecture of Knowledge.
7 The Indian Long March.
Part III Other People: Ethnorgraphy and Social Practice.
8 Introduction. (Ian Buchannan).
9. Walking in the City.
10. Believing and Making People Believe.
11. Ethno-Graphy, Speech, or the space of the Other. (Jean de Lery).
Part IV Other Languages: Speech and Writing.
12. Introduction. (Jeremy Ahearne).
13. The Scriptural Economy.
14. The World of the Vowel.
15. Mystic Speech.
Part V Other Beliefs: Theology.
16. Introduction: Michel de Certeau, Theologst. (Frederick Bauerschmidt).
17. The Weakness of Believing. From the Body to Writing a Christian Transit.
* This material would otherwise be hard for readers to locate.
* Includes new translations of original material.