DescriptionMagnesium remains almost unique among the metals in its ability to react directly with a wide variety of compounds. This organic chemistry field has seen steady progress, and a volume on this topic is long overdue. In the tradition of the Patai Series this title treats all aspects of functional groups, containing chapters on the theoretical and computational foundations; on analytical and spectroscopic aspects with dedicated chapters on Mass Spectrometry, NMR, IR/UV, etc.; on reaction mechanisms; on applications in syntheses. Depending on the functional group there are also chapters on industrial use, on effects in biological and/or environmental systems. Since the area of Organomagnesium Chemistry continues to grow far beyond the classical Grignard Reagents, this is an essential resource to help the reader keep abreast of the latest developments.
2. The thermochemistry of organomagnesium compounds (Joel F. Liebman, Torkil Holm and Suzanne W. Slayden).
3. NMR of organomagnesium compounds (Peter J. Heard).
4. Formation, chemistry and structure of organomagnesium species in solvent-free environments (Richard A. J. O'Hair).
5. Photochemical transformations involving magnesium porphyrins and phthalocyanines (Natalia N. Sergeeva and Mathias O. Senge).
6. Electrochemistry of organomagnesium compounds (Jan S. Jaworski).
7. Analytical aspects of organomagnesium compounds (Jacob Zabicky).
8. Biochemistry of magnesium (James Weston).
9. Theoretical studies of the addition of RMgX to carbonyl compounds (Shinichi Yamabe and Shoko Yamazaki).
10. Organomagnesium-group 15-and Organomagnesium-group 16-bonded complexes (Katherine L. Hull and Kenneth W. Henderson).
11. Preparation and reactivity of Magnesium enolates (Claude Grison).
12. Functionalized organomagnesium compounds: Synthesis and reactivity (Paul Knochel, Andrey Gavryushin and Katja Brade).
13. Iron-Catalyzed reactions of Grignard Reagents (Gérard Cahiez and Christophe Duplais).
14. Carbomagnesiation reactions (Kenichiro Itami and Jun-ichi Yoshida).
15. The chemistry of organomagnesium ate complexes (Hideki Yorimitsu and Koichiro Oshima).
16. The chemistry of magnesium carbenoids (Tsuyoshi Satoh).
17. Catalytic enantioselective conjugate addition and allylic alkylation reactions using Grignard reagents (Fernando López, Adriaan J. Minnaard and Ben L. Feringa).