Part I: General Principles of Development.
1. Principles of Development and Differentiation (excerpt). C. H. Waddington.
2. Ontogenetic Adaptations and Retrogressive Processes in the Development of the Nervous System and Behaviour: A Neuroembryological Perspective. R. W. Oppenheim.
3. From Watsonian Behaviourism to Behaviour Epigenetics: Zin-Yang Kuo.
4. Developmental Changes in Sensitivity to Experience. Patrick Bateson and Robert A. Hinde.
5. Behavioural Development: Towards Understanding Processes. C. ten Cate.
Part II: Theoretical Debates - Nature/Nurture and Beyond.
6. A Critique of Konrad Lorenz's Theory of Instinctive Behaviour (excerpt). Daniel S. Lehrman.
7. Heredity and Environment in Mammalian Behaviour. Donald O. Hebb.
8. Evolution and Modification of Behaviour (excerpt). Konrad Lorenz.
9. Semantic and Conceptual Issues in the Nature-Nurture Problem. Daniel S. Lehrman.
Part III: Empirical Paradigms: Development of Perceptual and Motor Mechanisms. Introduction.
Development of Perceptual and Motor Mechanisms.
10. The Developing Brain. Carla J. Shatz.
11. Development of Species Identification in Ducklings: VI Specific Embryonic Experience Required to Maintain Species-Typical Perception in Peking Ducklings. Gilbert Gottlieb.
12. The Companion to the Bird's World (excerpt). Konrad Lorenz.
13. Development of Perceptual Mechanisms in Birds: Predispositions and Imprinting. Johan J. Bolhuis.
14. Sensory Templates in Species Specific Behaviour. Peter Marler.
15. Aspects of Learning in the Ontogeny of Bird Song: Where, From Whom, When, How Many, Which and How Accurately. Donald E. Kroodsma.
16. Motor Patterns in Development (excerpt). John C. Fentress and Peter J. McLeod.
Part IV Empirical Paradigms: Development of Behavior Systems.
17. Suckling isn't feeding, or is it? William G. Hall and Christina L. Williams.
18. Ontogeny of Social Behaviour in Burmese Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus spadiceus) (excerpt). Jaap P. Kruijit.
19. Social Deprivation in Monkeys. Harry F. Harlow and Margaret K. Harlow.
20. Mother-Infant Separation and the Nature of Inter-Individual Relationships: Experiments with Rhesus Monkeys. Robert A. Hinde.
21. Structure and Development of Behaviour Systems. Jerry A. Hogan.
- Represents an excellent resource for students and teachers in psychology and animal behaviour
- Brings together many classic and important papers in the field for the first time.