DescriptionMaintaining the healthy foot condition of captive Asian and African elephants is one of the most important yet most difficult tasks for zookeepers, veterinarians, and researchers.
Recognizing the need for a convenient and comprehensive health care manual, Blair Csuti, Eva Sargent and Ursula Bechert present The Elephant's Foot. Born out of a national conference on elephant care and physiology, this book is backed by 46 of the foremost authorities on the subject.
After a general overview of the elephant foot's anatomy and physiology, The Elephant's Foot leads practitioners through recognition, prevention, and treatment of a variety of foot problems. From nail infections to foot abcesses, readers will find this text contains solutions for most foot troubles with remedies or additional recommendations. This book will support anyone simply studying elephants or those working with elephants on a daily basis.
Part I: The Context of Elephant Foot Care.
1. An Overview of Foot Conditions in Asian and African Elephants (Murray E. Fowler).
2. Anatomy of the Elephant Foot (Edward C. Ramsay and Robert W. Henry).
3. The Role of Nutrition and Its Possible Impact on Elephant Foot Care (William C. Sadler).
4. Record Keeping as an Aid to Foot Care in the Asian Elephant (Charlie Rutkowski, Ray Hopper, and Fred Marion).
Part II: Approaches to Routine Foot Care.
5. Foot Care for Captive Elephants (Alan Roocroft and James Oosterhuis).
6. Captive Elephant Foot Care: Natural-habitat Husbandry Techniques (Carol Buckley).
7. Foot Care at the Indianapolis Zoo: A Comprehensive Approach (Jill Sampson).
8. Elephant Foot Care Under the Voluntary-contract System: Problems and Solutions (Penny Kalk and Chris Wilgenkamp).
9. A History of Elephant Foot Care at the Milwaukee County Zoo (David Sorensen).
10. Elephant Husbandry and Foot Care at the Schonbrunner Tiergarten, Vienna (Harald M. Schwammer).
11. Preventive Foot Care for an Asian Elephant at Mesker Park Zoo and Botanic Garden (Joan Albers Hughes and Madeline Southard).
Part III: Common Elephant Foot Conditions and Their Treatment.
12. Historical Lessons for the treatment of Foot Diseases in Captive Asian Elephants (Dhriti K. Lahiri-Choudhury).
13. Split Nails, Abscesses, and Cuticular Fluid Pockets (Charlie Ruthowski, Fred Marion, and Ray Hopper).
14. Ouch, Do That Again! Treatment of Chronic Nail Infections in an Asian Bull Elephant Using Protected Contact (Karen Gibson and Joseph P. Flanagan).
15. Procedure for nail Reconstruction and Treatment for an Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus) Allan Seidon).
16. Occurrence and Treatment of Nail/Foot Abscesses, Nail Cracks, and Sole Abscesses in Captive Elephants (Gary West).
17. Siri's Dilemma: Management of a Chronic Foot Problem (Steve Stahl and Chuck Doyle).
18. Making a Protective boot for an Asian Elephant (Kate Woodle, Terri Kepes, and Chuck Doyle).
19. Treatment of an Abscessed Foot Pad of an African Elephant (Loxodonta africana) Using a Sandal and Topically Applied Chitosan (Daniel Houser, Lee G. Simmons, and Douglas L. Armstrong).
20. The Use f Sonography in the Follow-up Care of a Foot Abscess in a Female Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus) (Timothy J. O'Sullivan and Randy E. Junge).
21. Treatment of Osteomyelitis in Elephant Feet (Laurie J. Gage).
Part IV: Surgical Intervention for Elephant Foot Disease.
22. The Medical Surgical Management of Foot Abscesses in Captive Asiatic Elephants: Case Studies (Wayne S. J. Boardman, Richard Jakob-Hoff, Sherri Huntress, MIchael Lynch, Andrea Reiss, and Cree Monaghan).
23. Preoperative Conditioning and Postoperative Treatments of a Protected-contact Bull Elephant (Robert Kam).
24. Surgical Management of a Chronic Infection Involving the Phalange of an Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus) (Robert M. Cooper, Virginia L. Honeyman, and Daniel A. French).
25. Surgical Management of Phalangeal Osteomyelitis in a Female Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus) (Mitch Finnegan and Margot Monti).
Part V: Antibiotic and Anti-inflammatory Dosages for Elephants.
26. Determining Dosages for Antibiotic and Anti-inflammatory Agents (Jack Mortenson).
Part VI: Conclusions and Recommendations.
27. Elephant Foot Care: Concluding remarks (Murray E. Fowler).
Appendix I: Elephant Management Guidelines (March 1997) American Zoo and Aquarium Association).
Appendix II: Results of a Survey of Elephant Foot Condition and are in North America (Norie Dimeo-Ediger).
Glossary (Murray E. Fowler).