List of Abbreviations.
1. The Emergence of Christian Eremiticism.
2. The Development of Communal Life.
3. Women in Early Monasticism.
4. The Meaning of Asceticism.
5. The Evolution of Monasticism in the West.
6. The Rule of St Benedicts and its Italian Setting.
7. Britain and Ireland.
8. Irish peregrini and European Monasticism.
9. Monasticism and Society in the Seventh Century.
‘... the book succeeds admirably in making technical material accessible to the general reader.’ English Historical Review
‘The goal of this work, very successfully achieved, is a comprehensive view of monastic history ... throughout the book [Dunn] brings the reader quickly to understand a host of scholarly controversies without overburdening her text. Speculum
'... a thorough reading of the major secondary studies of the past generation ... The extensive notes, substantial biliography and detailed index will be of great use.' Ecclesiastical History
"This deserves to be widely recommended... a fascinating and thorough book" Morwenna Ludlow, Mind
- First study in any language to cover the formative period of medieval monasticism.
- Gives particular attention to the contribution of women to ascetic and monastic life.