The Emotionally Abused and Neglected Child: Identification, Assessment and Intervention: A Practice Handbook, 2nd Edition
SECTION 1: The Problem.
1. Introduction to Emotional Abuse and Neglect.
History of the Concept.
The Concept of Emotional Abuse.
Consequences of Emotional Abuse.
Purpose and Overview of the Book.
The Organisation of the Book.
2. Definition, Prevalence, and Characteristics of Emotionally Abused Children and their Carers.
Definition and Typology of Emotionally Abusive Behaviour.
Emotionally Abusive Parenting.
Problem Profile of Emotionally Abused and Neglected Children.
Consequences of Emotionally Harmful Parenting – Messages from Research and Practice.
Identification and Incidence.
3. Emotional Abuse and Neglect Within the Family.
Post-Divorce Parental Conflict and the Effect on Children.
Contact Dispute Case.
Parental Substance Misuse.
4. Emotional Abuse and Neglect Outside the Family.
School Bullying: Peer Abuse.
A Case of Bullying.
Emotional Abuse/Neglect by Teachers.
The Extent and Nature of Child Emotional Abuse/Neglect by Teachers.
Verbal Attacks and Humiliating Behaviours.
Rejecting and Isolating.
Emotional Abuse and Neglect in Out-of-Home Care.
Children and Young People in Custody.
5. Attachment and Bonding in Cases of Emotional Abuse.
What is Attachment?
The Origins of Attachment Theory.
Parental Sensitivity and Formation of Attachment.
Individual Differences: The Strange Situation.
Child-to-Parent Attachment and Emotional Abuse.
Parent-to-Infant Attachment (Bonding).
Significance of the Parent–Child Attachment.
Adult Attachment Styles.
Mothers who Promote Secure Attachment Behaviour in their Children.
Dismissing and Rejecting Mothers.
Consequences of Insecure Attachment.
6. Emotional Abuse and Neglect: Effects on the Growing Child.
7. Failure to Thrive and Emotional Stunting in Growth.
What is Failure to Thrive?
Emotional Stunting in Growth.
Hyperphagic and Anorexic Short-Stature Children.
Manifestation of Disturbed Behaviour.
Twenty-Year Follow-Up Study.
8. Children with Disability at Risk of Emotional Abuse and Neglect.
Incidence and Prevalence Rates.
9. Risks and Resilience in Cases of Emotional Abuse.
Risk and Resilience Factors for Emotional Maltreatment.
Factors Intrinsic to the Child.
Comments on Risk and Resilience.
Early Adversities and Recovery.
SECTION 2: Assessment of Emotional Abuse and Neglect.
10. Assessment of Emotional Abuse and Neglect.
Department of Health Framework of Assessment.
Parenting Duties and Problems.
Assessment of Basic Care.
Guidance and Boundaries.
Children’s Developmental Needs.
Interview with the Child.
Observation of Children.
SECTION 3: Treatment and Intervention of Emotional Abuse and Neglect.
11. Levels of Intervention and Service Provision in Cases of Emotional Abuse and Neglect.
Levels of Prevention and Intervention.
Targeted Prevention/Intervention Multidisciplinary Approach.
Multidisciplinary Inter-Agency Co-operation and Service Delivery.
Civil Court Intervention.
12. Behavioural-Cognitive Approaches in Helping Emotionally Abused and Neglected Children and their Families: Theory, Practice, and Research.
Behavioural Methods and Techniques.
Use of Cognitive Methods of Intervention.
Essential Components of Cognitive Treatment.
13. Improving Parent–Child Relationship and Children’s Attachment to Parents: Psychodynamic Approach – Theory and Practice.
Building Secure Attachment.
Improving Children’s Attachment Behaviour to Parents with Mental-Health Problems.
Watch, Wait, and Wonder.
Video-Recording and Feedback.
Recalling Early-Childhood Memories.
Parent–Child Interaction Therapy.
Working with Foster-Parents – Counselling Regarding Attachment.
14. Direct Work with Emotionally Abused and Neglected Children and Young People.
The Jug of Loving Water.
15. Helping Parents and Families.
Group Work with Emotionally Abusive and Neglectful Parents.
Dealing with Marital Problems.
SECTION 4: The Burden of Proof: Legal and Social Work Difficulties in Dealing with Emotional-Abuse and Neglect Cases.16 The Burden of Proof: Legal and Social Work Difficulties in Dealing with Emotional-Abuse and Neglect Cases.
Legal and Social Work Decisions in Cases of Emotional Abuse.
Applications to the Court.
Children’s Rights and the Parents’ Rights as Legal Requirements.
Independent Assessment of Expert Witness.
Issues for Social Workers and Lawyers Working Together.